Complete Marvel Reading Order


It is currently January 16th, 2018, 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Punisher (Netflix)
PostPosted: November 26th, 2017, 11:36 am 
Offline
Avenger
User avatar

Joined: June 16th, 2012, 4:10 pm
Posts: 2955
Location: Ringgold, GA
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 330 times
I loved the whole season. Even when it kinda dragged in the middle, I didn't feel it dragged near as much as some of the other Netflix shows. Punisher was worth the wait. The action is awesome, his capability with weapons both firearms and knives, and I felt for some of the peripheral characters.

One thing I liked is the moral ambiguity of Frank that leaves things open as to whether you think he is a good person or not. For instance, my buddy thinks Frank is a good guy and everything bad he did was because he was ordered to do so. However, Frank committed an atrocious act that wasn't ordered when he starts bashing in a dead enemy combatants head. I am sure since he had passed the dead soldier's body already that this would be considered a war crime, but at the very least he violated the Geneva Convention. This was something he CHOSE. There was no order to do that. Kinda shows that Frank isn't all black and white, good or bad. I'm not saying he went off the deep end and killed an innocent here, because the soldier was trying to kill him, but it still lays some of the blame for his deeds at his own doorstep, not just the villains'.

_________________
'The soul knows no greater anguish than to take a breath that begins with love and ends with grief.'- Steven Erikson

Image



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punisher (Netflix)
PostPosted: November 26th, 2017, 12:27 pm 
Offline
Avenger
User avatar

Joined: August 25th, 2012, 1:46 am
Posts: 5372
Location: @spider_borg
Has liked: 2274 times
Been liked: 677 times
It did drag in parts but I did enjoy the season. There were a few “why the F didn’t soandso kill soandso when they had the chance” moments that were a little frustrating and/or convenient (depending on your point of view).

Still way better than Iron Fist and Luke Cage. I’ll have to watch it again to know if it’s better than DD or JJ

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punisher (Netflix)
PostPosted: November 27th, 2017, 5:38 am 
Offline
Minion
User avatar

Joined: March 13th, 2016, 9:31 pm
Posts: 241
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 57 times
Spider-Borg wrote:
It did drag in parts but I did enjoy the season. There were a few “why the F didn’t soandso kill soandso when they had the chance” moments that were a little frustrating and/or convenient (depending on your point of view).

Still way better than Iron Fist and Luke Cage. I’ll have to watch it again to know if it’s better than DD or JJ


Punisher was a great single character series. Definitely a vast improvement on the s**t show that was Iron Fist (I am a very disappointed IF fan here). Luke Cage was good and that's really all I can describe it as; not great, not bad, just good. Jessica Jones was good but dragged on. They spent far too much time on character development but the character never changed/developed from what we saw in the first few episodes. She just came off as whiny after awhile. Killgrave made that entire series worthwhile imo. Daredevil (both seasons) is still the best series to date. It set the bar pretty high and I don't think any single character series has yet to hit that benchmark, although Punisher came pretty close. Here would be my ranked order:

Daredevil
Punisher
Jessica Jones
Luke Cage
Iron Fist

The Defenders was really good as it played to the actors/characters strengths/weaknesses. I feel that the producers listened to what fans said about the previous series and really worked to fix what didn't work while at the same time strengthening aspects that did.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punisher (Netflix)
PostPosted: November 27th, 2017, 7:37 am 
Offline
Beyonder
User avatar

Joined: June 9th, 2011, 8:39 am
Posts: 22815
Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 3327 times
No one gives jessica jones enough credit. I still think it's the best netflix series...

_________________


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punisher (Netflix)
PostPosted: November 27th, 2017, 8:08 am 
Offline
Avenger
User avatar

Joined: August 25th, 2012, 1:46 am
Posts: 5372
Location: @spider_borg
Has liked: 2274 times
Been liked: 677 times
tstarnes wrote:
No one gives jessica jones enough credit. I still think it's the best netflix series...


I've watched it more times than any other Marvel Netflix show (mostly because I recently rewatched the season a couple of months ago and then I started watching all of MCU with my son so I finished JJ again just a few weeks ago haha)

And I got something out of it each time I've seen it (3 times total now). So I may agree with you. I'll let you know once I finish DD season 2 again (I've only seen that season once). But so far I like JJ better than everything else. Even DD season 1.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punisher (Netflix)
PostPosted: December 1st, 2017, 11:12 am 
Offline
Minion

Joined: April 11th, 2012, 12:56 pm
Posts: 86
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 26 times
jemsmck wrote:
Spider-Borg wrote:
It did drag in parts but I did enjoy the season. There were a few “why the F didn’t soandso kill soandso when they had the chance” moments that were a little frustrating and/or convenient (depending on your point of view).

Still way better than Iron Fist and Luke Cage. I’ll have to watch it again to know if it’s better than DD or JJ


Punisher was a great single character series. Definitely a vast improvement on the s**t show that was Iron Fist (I am a very disappointed IF fan here). Luke Cage was good and that's really all I can describe it as; not great, not bad, just good. Jessica Jones was good but dragged on. They spent far too much time on character development but the character never changed/developed from what we saw in the first few episodes. She just came off as whiny after awhile. Killgrave made that entire series worthwhile imo. Daredevil (both seasons) is still the best series to date. It set the bar pretty high and I don't think any single character series has yet to hit that benchmark, although Punisher came pretty close. Here would be my ranked order:

Daredevil
Punisher
Jessica Jones
Luke Cage
Iron Fist

The Defenders was really good as it played to the actors/characters strengths/weaknesses. I feel that the producers listened to what fans said about the previous series and really worked to fix what didn't work while at the same time strengthening aspects that did.


totaly agreeing with yout ranked order. i would put defenders between LC and IF. it would have been higher without IF in it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punisher (Netflix)
PostPosted: December 1st, 2017, 11:53 am 
Offline
Minion
User avatar

Joined: March 13th, 2016, 9:31 pm
Posts: 241
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 57 times
poj-poj wrote:
totaly agreeing with yout ranked order. i would put defenders between LC and IF. it would have been higher without IF in it.


Unfortunately it was centered around his story but the producers did a good job not relying solely on Jones's acting skills. The fight sequences were fantastic.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punisher (Netflix)
PostPosted: January 10th, 2018, 10:49 am 
Offline
Vigilante
User avatar

Joined: June 18th, 2014, 6:12 pm
Posts: 883
Location: Rochester, NY
Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 213 times
I finally finished Season 1. Ultimately I thought this was a good series... way more compelling that I expected it to be, and I thought they did a good job of making a violent show about guns actually about something else considering all of the recent real-life shootings in the news.

I liked the sub-plots about disillusion veterans coming back from war, suffering from PTSD or just missing the familiarity of war. I thought David (Micro) was a fascinating character study and liked Curtis a lot too. There was so much more here than just "The Punisher."

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group