Complete Marvel Reading Order

It is currently December 11th, 2017, 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Metal Corner
PostPosted: March 15th, 2016, 1:47 pm 
Hero for Hire

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 184 times
Since this thread is alive again, while I have no live shows planned [all the ones I would like to go to are on weekdays which I can't do because of my work schedule] I might as well post some of my purchases I've made over the past few months.

Windhand - Grief's Infernal Flower - Windhand's last release 'Soma' was highly praised and was at the top of almost all best of metal lists for 2013, but not mine I found it was a glorified [but still excellent] EP with an extended drone outro that padded the last 20 minutes of the album to justify the price. This album had everything I wanted and then some, really crushing doomy riffs, more excellent vocals Dorthia Cottrell, and the songs felt more focused and tight and didn't stay 10 minutes after they were no longer wanted like the last album.

Lightning Bolt - Fantasy Empire - I heard about this band through Rock Band 4 actually as it was revilled as the hardest and least fun song in the game if not the series. While I do agree it wasn't fun to play I found it sure as fuck fun to listen to as a budding noise fan. Definitely not for those who can't handle indecipherable lyrics and instruments, but if your willing to give it a shot give it more than 1,2 or even 3 listens to see if the noise starts to grow [or gnaw for that matter] on you.

The Body & Thou - Body Collaborations - Another noise album but this time more avant garde and experimental due to the addition of The Body to Thou's already sludgy, loud, and noisy sound. This was the first time I heard of Body and it took me more than a few listens to get over the rooster sounding vocalist of The Body, but once I did I found that I quite liked the album quite a bit but even for me a fan of this kind of experimentation that it takes a bit of getting used to.

Pallbearer - 'Sorrow And Extinction' & 'Foundations Of Burden' - Hailed as the best new thing in Doom metal I decided to pick up both of their releases during boxing day and...... it's alright. I don't much care for their more laid back and atmospheric nature similar to another popular metal band Ghost but with doom inspired riffs rather than the more black inspired riffs of Ghost. They have this weird sound where the riffs sound like doom but don't feel like it as it lacks the base and the reverb that I'm so used to and love about the genre.

Yakuza - 'Beyul' & 'Of Seismic Consequence' - I heard about this as I stumbled upon a solo performance by Bruce Lamont and did some research on him and found he was in this band and got their last two albums on boxing day. More avant garde stuff but without the noise and a more prog feel, not much else to say other than I love both of them.

Resinater - CDXIX - Really, really, really, fun stoner metal album to listen and sing along too. Well worth the listen or 2, or 3, or 4........

PostPosted: March 15th, 2016, 5:16 pm 
Hero for Hire

Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 145 times
Didn't even know this thread existed, but I am a huge fan of prog metal and I'm in a prog rock band as a keyboardist/vocalist, so I'll share a couple of my favourites.

Leprous - One of my favourite bands, and probably my favourite prog metal group. Einar Solberg is an incredible vocalist and though they have been lacking in progressive elements recently (*cough*The Congregation*cough*) they are still going strong and I at least liked the Congregation more than Coal. While their live performances aren't particularly great in my opinion, I can always rely on them for a great tune. Favourite Songs - Phantom Pain, Forced Entry, Slave, White. Favourite Album - Tall Poppy Syndrome, for sure.

Animals as Leaders - A truly incredible instrumental prog metal band. Tosin Abasi is one of the first people I think of when people say 'technically proficient' and he can definitely shred. I actually have tickets to see the band in July at the same place where I saw Project RnL (my favourite band) and Ozric Tentacles. Their djent elements are wonderfully worked into each piece they appear in and despite the lack of a vocalist to outline the song structure I haven't found a single track uninteresting so far. Favourite Songs - The Price of Everything and the Value of Nothing, Weightless, Soraya, Air Chrysalis. Favourite Album - Animals as Leaders (Encore Edition).

Haken - Another one of my favourite bands, mostly for their technicality and jazz elements. Diego Tejeida is probably my favourite member, as he is part of the prog keyboardist inner circle, featuring other such names as Jordan Rudess, Eyal Amir, Jacob Collier, etc... I only found their music in the last year but already they have amazed me with at least one section of every single song. I only wish for them that Ross Jennings played an instrument as well as sing so he could stay on stage all the time and focus on vocal control. Favourite Songs - Celestial Elixir, Streams, Cockroach King, Nocturnal Conspiracy. Favourite Album - Aquarius.

Honourable Mentions - Tool, Dream Theater, Emperor.

PostPosted: March 15th, 2016, 9:39 pm 
Avenger

Has liked: 1857 times
Been liked: 1329 times
I'm a huge prog fan, although more of the classic stuff. I haven't heard of the 3 bands you mentioned, but I'll give them a listen.

PostPosted: March 16th, 2016, 2:30 am 
Hero for Hire

Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 145 times
zuckyd1 wrote:
I'm a huge prog fan, although more of the classic stuff. I haven't heard of the 3 bands you mentioned, but I'll give them a listen.

Yeah, I love classic too, but softer and more rocky rather than metal - my favourites are Yes (seeing them in a matter of weeks), Rush (covering Spirit of Radio at a gig tonight), Gentle Giant, ELP (R.I.P. Keith), and I guess Soundgarden is pretty old now...?

PostPosted: June 18th, 2017, 3:18 pm 
Boy Wonder

Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 113 times
Wooooh! Since I moved out of the capital city, gigs have been few and far between, but that ends NOW. Or, well, on Thursday.

The annual Copenhell metal festival is going on, and this year's headliners are Prophets of Rage, System of a Down and Slayer. Not to mention 5FDP, In Flames, Airbourne, Rob Zombie, Saxon, Powerwolf, Black Star Riders, Myrkur etc etc..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6