It is currently December 18th, 2017, 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Frying Pans
PostPosted: February 18th, 2017, 2:49 pm 
Caped Crusader

Has liked: 579 times
Been liked: 445 times
Hi guys,

Recently, I have been trying to make healthier choices in my life. Specifically food and what I am storing or cooking my food in. To keep a long story short, this change in lifestyle is solely for my fiances health as she is going through some tough times lately. But, I am also seeing the benefit for myself as I continue to research these things.

Anyway, I have mainly been looking at ceramic non-stick pans since they are made without PFAS, PFOA, and do not leech lead or cadmium (depending on where they are manufactured). PFOA could potentially be a cancer causing substance and I'm choosing to avoid it based upon what I have read from the EPA, WHO, and the American Cancer Society.

My dilemma - I have found many brands where PTFEs are not being used. For example, the greenpan by the Thermolon Corporation (Belgium) and the Ozeri Green Earth Pans by Weilburger Coatings Germany, which are very popular ceramic brands, claim to be PTFE free and non-leeching. However, I have found information that states they are manufactured in China. And that is my issue.

I do not want products produced in China. I just don't trust their regulations. And even though these companies claim that their products do not contain PTFEs, I do not trust that their products are completely free of substances, such as lead, getting into my food.

Now, I do not want a political debate. I just want to find a manufacturing company that produces ceramic non-stick pans not made in China .... but I'm starting to believe that one does not exist.

If you guys know of any, please let me know. =]

Post subject: Re: Frying Pans
PostPosted: February 18th, 2017, 3:14 pm 
Herald of Galactus

Has liked: 265 times
Been liked: 1103 times
I sure don't know any. Can you make a ceramic frying pan? I thought ceramic shattered when heated intensely.

PostPosted: February 18th, 2017, 3:20 pm 
Herald of Galactus

Has liked: 265 times
Been liked: 1103 times
I found some brands on this list you didn't mention, you'd have to look up where they're manufactured.

http://www.independent.co.uk/extras/ind ... 46391.html

PostPosted: February 18th, 2017, 3:32 pm 
Celestial

Has liked: 2500 times
Been liked: 1261 times
as a cook, I only use non-stick pans for eggs.... is there a problem going with a high end stainless steel set???

here is something I found on a website talking about All-Clad cookware......

Quote:
Ceramic is a popular alternative to nonstick, so it’s used as a layer over aluminum pans sometimes. Ceramic can chip, so it requires more coddling than rugged stuff like All-Clad Stainless. Many people also report that ceramic nonstick loses its nonstick qualities after just a few months of hard use, though part of that may be due to users who overheat their pans. Some manufacturers admit to this problem, if you read between the lines of their PR statements. For example, Berndes, a German maker of ceramic-coated pans, confesses on its website that “[c]eramic coatings are not directly comparable to non-stick coatings. Although they come with good non-stick properties at first, these decline after a short period of use and cleaning. … over time, the non-stick properties wear off, a process that is accelerated by cleaning in a dishwasher.” Furthermore, aluminum pans without magnetic steel bottoms are not induction compatible. Nevertheless, they are viable for skillets. I wouldn’t bother getting ceramic for anything other than skillets, because you don’t need nonstick pots to boil water or make sauces and such. Examples of ceramic-coated pans: Berndes SignoCast/Vario Click, Ozeri Green Earth

https://www.centurylife.org/is-all-clad-worth-it-is-it-still-made-in-america-why-does-it-cost-so-much-what-are-some-alternatives/

PostPosted: February 18th, 2017, 3:40 pm 
Celestial

Has liked: 2500 times
Been liked: 1261 times
here is a list of the top 10 ceramic and non-stick pans for 2017 with some of them that seem to meet your guidlines.... http://www.cookwarejudge.com/top-10-best-ceramic-pan-and-nonstick-frying-pan-reviews.html

PostPosted: February 18th, 2017, 4:52 pm 
Caped Crusader

Has liked: 579 times
Been liked: 445 times
rocketraccoon wrote:
I sure don't know any. Can you make a ceramic frying pan? I thought ceramic shattered when heated intensely.

From my understanding, it is coated with a material that allows it to withstand temperatures up to 450C. Which is fine for my needs.

As raist pointed out in his post, they are really only an issue if you overheat your pan. It also fits my needs when looking for a non-stick pan.

@raist - I am not looking for Stainless Steel because of the stick factor and how they can be a bit of a pain. Which is why I am also not going with cast iron.

Thanks for the list. I will take a look at it.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2017, 2:36 am 
Caped Crusader

Has liked: 670 times
Been liked: 410 times
Spam in an apropiate post. Will wonders never cease