Complete Marvel Reading Order

It is currently April 26th, 2018, 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Let's talk about artists
PostPosted: December 10th, 2016, 7:07 pm 
Avenger

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 410 times
This is hilarious, and it really says a lot.

PostPosted: December 11th, 2016, 12:04 am 
Celestial

Has liked: 2611 times
Been liked: 1337 times
I watched till they got to the "large kapooey" and I had seen enough.... :roll:

PostPosted: December 11th, 2016, 12:55 am 
Avenger

Well, Stan is making fun of them the whole time

PostPosted: January 12th, 2018, 1:59 pm 
Minion

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times
Bit of a necro, but through the mid 60s these are my artist thoughts:

Kirby - I'm mixed on him. Early on, I really disliked most of his work. As the Marvel style evolved, though, he grew into his own and I think on the right book he's as good an artist as Marvel had. Given he was hardly a neophyte in the 60s, I'm going to mostly put this down to inkers doing a better job on his pencils, a reduction in his workload, and scripts that better played to his strengths. Tales of Asgard and the more fantastical FF and Thor stories in the mid 60s were just about perfect to me, and Kirby's style is a huge part of that. He just does landscapes, technology, monsters, the grotesque, and the fantastic better than anyone else. He is terrible with the mundane day to day though. I've read a lot of his later DC work and that stuff is off the walls bonkers, so my opinions of his art are probably informed by that experience with his art.

Ditko - My favorite early 60s artist. Ditko gives character to the mundane. His gaunt and weathered creations felt real, especially compared to the other artists Marvel had, and he, like Kirby, could draw some wonderful fantastical landscapes. Dr. Strange was a big surprise to me, and Ditko quickly became my favorite early Marvel artist. I was sad to see him leave. At the same time, his style never really evolved during his time with Marvel and unlike Kirby, Ditko didn't really hit those artistic high notes that would define Kirby. Dr. Strange was the closest thing, but I think my love of Ditko was more that his floor was so high.

Romita - What an entrance to Marvel. Romita made Daredevil readable, and he redefined not only Spider-Man's look but what all comics would look like. He cribbed from Kirby early on in terms of layouts, and that seems to have stayed with his work at least into 67, but his drawings were cleaner, and he was better able to handle the day to day. He drew awesome action, but he also drew real people. And boy his action sequences were top notch - that page of Rhino and Spidey fighting with just bombastic sound effects is one of my favorite pages so far.

Colan - Like Romita, Colan burst onto the scene with Marvel. His Adam Austin penned Namor was dark and shadowed and totally unlike the work of Kirby, Ditko, or the jobbers. Where a Kirby or Ditko page might have six panels, Colan cut it down to two and focused on the essence of the moment. Later on, with Iron-Man and moreso with Daredevil, Colan would crib off of Romita and start putting out really clean lines to complement his own unique style of layouts (an inking change maybe? a style evolution? it feels like a mixture of both - I need to see what kind of pencil work is out there). Daredevil #20 felt to me like a real early preview of the Bronze Age of comics. It was dark and gritty, but the lines were clean. Characters were proportioned properly. Action was fast and flowing. I hear Colan gets even better as the years go on, and I'm very much looking forward to experiencing it.

Steranko - Kirby Jr, at least so far. He's cribbing on Kirby layouts and he draws in Kirby's bombastic style. He draws better people though. I know I'm just at the start of his career, and that there's a lot more to come, and I'm very looking forward to it.

Marie Severin - I've only seen some of her work so far on Dr. Strange. She's... different. Someone here said her art was subdued, and I'd agree with that. I'm mixed on it. It's not standard Marvel bullpen fare, which rates it more highly for me, but it's also not at the level of the other artists above. If Steranko is Kirby Jr, Severin is almost Ditko Jr, and not just because of the book she's on. She has that same fantastic tone to her art, but she uses a lighter touch. I don't have a clue what else she does after this, and am curious to see what direction she goes in. I don't think her current style fits where I know Marvel ended up going.

Heck, Ayers, Everett, Roth, etc - The jobbers. I actively dislike the art produced by these four in particular, but also a lot of the art that came out of the rest of the Marvel bullpen. They can't draw the fantastic, they can't draw the mundane. They're putting in work drawing pages and a paycheque, and I wish they didn't so that I didn't have to read it. I think Wood deserves a special mention here, as his art was just as bad as the rest of the bullpen with the exception of DD #7, which was excellent. That was a real nice hint of what he might have been capable of had things worked out.

PostPosted: January 12th, 2018, 2:29 pm 
Avenger

My ranking is:

Sternko
Colan
Ditko
Romita
Kirby
Severin

You haven't gotten to Sternko's best stuff yet. And I absolutely love Gene Colan. He's a master.

PostPosted: January 15th, 2018, 4:23 am 
Minion

Has liked: 607 times
Been liked: 53 times
tearsofrage wrote:
My ranking is:

Sternko
Colan
Ditko
Romita
Kirby
Severin

You haven't gotten to Sternko's best stuff yet. And I absolutely love Gene Colan. He's a master.

ALMOST seconded!... I just would switch Ditko and Romita...I just like Romita's style on ASM more then Ditko although it was very very sad the latter left Marvel...

PostPosted: January 15th, 2018, 5:55 am 
Sidekick

Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 83 times
Urgat wrote:
ALMOST seconded!... I just would switch Ditko and Romita...I just like Romita's style on ASM more then Ditko although it was very very sad the latter left Marvel...

I really wish Ditko got to work with more of the heavy hitters of the DC Universe back in his hay day. He gave us some interesting characters for sure, but would have liked to see him tackle some of the core characters as well.

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2018, 6:26 pm 
Minion

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times
jemsmck wrote:
Urgat wrote:

I really wish Ditko got to work with more of the heavy hitters of the DC Universe back in his hay day. He gave us some interesting characters for sure, but would have liked to see him tackle some of the core characters as well.

I think he might have drawn an interesting Batman but overall I'm not sure his style would really work with any of the Trinity. He could probably have taken the Green Lantern on some really cool extraterrestrial adventures though.

And I would have loved to see his Green Arrow ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8