Complete Marvel Reading Order

It is currently November 18th, 2017, 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9694 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 966, 967, 968, 969, 970  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who is actually reading 'the order' and how far have you
PostPosted: November 13th, 2017, 8:37 am 
Boy Wonder

Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 113 times
jakeisquite wrote:
7hm wrote:
Yeah I'm starting to see longer stories and they're doing more to flesh out the villains.

There's still the odd issues like the one in the middle of The Trial of the Gods where Thor goes to Vietnam, and I'm not sure getting multiple Frightful Four appearances is better than random villains of the month, but you can tell it's getting better.

I'm at just about 600 I feel like as we get further along, the good is getting better and the bad is getting worse. I'm scared about the bad getting even worse than it already has cause I don't know how much more of the bad I can handle.

It gets better, at least for a while. The 70s and 80s are all pretty decent. Obviously there's still some trash (US1, Shogun Warriors, Speedball, Kirby and Ditko returning etc) but generally we have ~20 years of pretty decent stuff with a lot of really good stuff in there.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2017, 10:07 am 
Avenger

Has liked: 160 times
Been liked: 355 times
jakeisquite wrote:
7hm wrote:
Yeah I'm starting to see longer stories and they're doing more to flesh out the villains.

There's still the odd issues like the one in the middle of The Trial of the Gods where Thor goes to Vietnam, and I'm not sure getting multiple Frightful Four appearances is better than random villains of the month, but you can tell it's getting better.

I'm at just about 600 I feel like as we get further along, the good is getting better and the bad is getting worse. I'm scared about the bad getting even worse than it already has cause I don't know how much more of the bad I can handle.

Part of the reason that the bad is getting worse is because Marvel is hiring new writers where you're at, and they're still developing their style.

Like, Roy Thomas is a great comic book writer, but his early stuff (ie where you're at) is pretty bad.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2017, 10:10 am 
Minion

Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 8 times
Beginning The original clone Saga.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2017, 4:40 pm 
Minion

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 26 times
Getting near the end of Panther's Rage - it really hurts to be T'Challa right now!

PostPosted: November 13th, 2017, 5:48 pm 
Herald of Galactus

Has liked: 1662 times
Been liked: 1627 times
I think it was more painfull to be me while reading that story...

But maybe I just didn't understand it... And all those other Panther's stories I read so far...

PostPosted: November 14th, 2017, 7:18 am 
Minion

I really enjoyed it, but more for the work put into the supporting characters than the actual fights. The fights were good enough, and I liked seeing the hero actually getting beaten up, but they definitely weren't the highlight. And no one was casually sexist or racist!

PostPosted: November 14th, 2017, 7:35 am 
Herald of Galactus

I'm really happy there are people enjoying all those "Panther's Something" stories...
I really am.
Or when my colleagues in Poland are suggesting we need those stories published in Poland and they would all buy it...
I really am...

But for me, in this Order, it's a nightmare...
I have problem with Panther as a character. At first I couldn't find anything to feel attached to him, and now, after all this years he is basically pissing me off...

He is always gloomy, always distant. Maybe it's his solo stories writers fault, but for me he is basically "Black Panther, the Man Without Feelings". Or at least those genuine one
And those stories are so long, and boring... It's like nothing happens for dozens of pages. This character is so wearisome, and yet the writers are trying to convince us he has the most complex psychology ever...

And even when there are fights they change nothing. 4x50 pages story. 20 pages of whining, one meaningless fight, which seems to be important, but in the end is not. And again 30 pages of whining and another meaningless fight. And so on and on and on untill the last fight and last whining and story ends...

I know this character gets more popular in the 90's and 00's, but where I am now every time I see solo Panther story I feel like I'm gonna waste few days of my life...

PostPosted: November 14th, 2017, 10:31 am 
Avenger

Has liked: 160 times
Been liked: 355 times
fragsel wrote:
I'm really happy there are people enjoying all those "Panther's Something" stories...
I really am.
Or when my colleagues in Poland are suggesting we need those stories published in Poland and they would all buy it...
I really am...

But for me, in this Order, it's a nightmare...
I have problem with Panther as a character. At first I couldn't find anything to feel attached to him, and now, after all this years he is basically pissing me off...

He is always gloomy, always distant. Maybe it's his solo stories writers fault, but for me he is basically "Black Panther, the Man Without Feelings". Or at least those genuine one
And those stories are so long, and boring... It's like nothing happens for dozens of pages. This character is so wearisome, and yet the writers are trying to convince us he has the most complex psychology ever...

And even when there are fights they change nothing. 4x50 pages story. 20 pages of whining, one meaningless fight, which seems to be important, but in the end is not. And again 30 pages of whining and another meaningless fight. And so on and on and on untill the last fight and last whining and story ends...

I know this character gets more popular in the 90's and 00's, but where I am now every time I see solo Panther story I feel like I'm gonna waste few days of my life...

Wow, man, I loved Panther's Rage. And Black Panther is one of my favorite characters.

I really like how regal he is. He is a warrior king, but he's also a philosopher. I feel like He's a gentle soul, but he resorts to violence because he feels that he must.

In Panther's Rage, he was physically, mentally, and emotionally challenged. Everything that was important to him was challenged, and he had to go through a painful gauntlet to get it back.

I'm not trying to convince you to like it. I'm just surprised that you don't. I thought Panther's Rage was great.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2017, 10:59 am 
Herald of Galactus

To tell the truth after I finished Panther's Rage I was still full of hope. For me it was just regular story, nothing bad, but not as good as I heard it might me though...

But then came Panther vs. the Klan
Even today, after so many years I am not entirely sure I understand what was it about.
And the fact it was broke in the middle with no explanation didn't help either...

And when I noticed new series and hoped for explanation it turned out Jack Kirby decided that being comic god is not good for him, and decided to come to Marvel to haunt me (and many others too). And he decided he don't give a shit about Panther vs. the Klan.

And than it started. It turned out Panther's rage was not only story written similary to Klan
There came follow ups... Ending of Panther vs Klan. Than Panther's Quest

And in the end (at least for now) the most annoying Pather's story I've read, Panther's Prey.

Every story makes Panther more whining, more uninteresting.

I totally don't read him as philosopher. I read everything he said, wrote and even thought and it's nothing interesting. My life did not get brighter, or better, or more complete thanks to him.

Maybe he actually speaks to somebody, but it's definitelly not me. I hate people spending Their life on grumbling instead of acting. That is not the King I'm used to.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2017, 9:35 pm 
Minion

I see where you're coming from, I can totally understand reading the Panther like that. I don't personally, which has obviously helped me like Panther's Rage, but then I know other people like Reed Richards and I just can't for the life of me see why. I don't think the Order would be as much fun if we couldn't all have our own takes on the characters, much the same as all the different writers and artists over the years have.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9694 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 966, 967, 968, 969, 970  Next