Complete Marvel Reading Order

It is currently November 21st, 2017, 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Greetings!
PostPosted: September 11th, 2017, 12:48 pm 
Minion

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time
Hello all! I wanted to start by giving a huge thank you to Travis and all of the forum contributors here. These reading orders are monumental undertakings, without which, Marvel may not have garnered near as much interest from me, personally.

With that said, I'm almost completely new to the world of comics. Through MCU, DC films, and cartoons growing up, I've had an interest in the Superhero variety of comics, but never delved into the paper (and now digital) medium. Marvel Unlimited finally roped me in.

After being roped in, I immediately looked for starting approaches and first stumbled upon ComicBookHerald. After discovering one reading order, I checked for any alternatives, turning up Comicbookreadingorders.com and CMRO. After some comparison, CMRO won the battle with its focus on readability as well as its comprehensive listing.

Like many here (I'm sure), I tend to be a completionist/completist, so the idea of this site is mouthwatering. However, in practical experience, I know that my completionist ways tend to result in unfinished endeavors, and this one is a huge one. Doing a little math, if I managed to average 30 comics read per week, I'd hit roughly 1,500 per year and it would take me 20 years to catch up to the ~30,000 comics through 2017... and I'd still be 20 years behind.

So I'm interested in hearing what approaches others are taking to involve themselves in modern Marvel while doing this order, since modern Marvel interests me most. After much internal deliberation, I think I'm going to do the Essential Order through to the late 90's and then make a transition to the Main Order leading up to Avengers Disassembled. Then if I do catch up to current MU releases one day, I'll go back and fill in the gaps.

On a side note, I'm having two technical difficulties with the site. My signature doesn't seem to be working (I used [ cmrosig]my account number[/cmrosig])and my rated comic count is off by one. It actually goes to -1 if I unrate everything.

Phew, that was probably an overly long introduction.

Post subject: Re: Greetings!
PostPosted: September 11th, 2017, 12:59 pm 
Avenger

Has liked: 160 times
Been liked: 356 times
Welcome!

I think essentials until modern is a good way to go. And you can always add a title to your reading if you find that you really dig certain characters.

PostPosted: September 11th, 2017, 1:03 pm 
Celestial

Has liked: 2470 times
Been liked: 1248 times
Welcome to the forums.....

So my approach to getting to "modern" was that I read a ton of X-Men thru the 80s and 90s when I was growing up, with enough crossovers involved to have a pretty good understanding of the non-x-titles.... then I gave up comics in the late 90s because of Onslaught..... so when I came back to Marvel in 2013, I just ripped the bandade off and jumped straight into MarveL NOW! Then after Secret Wars came out I backtracked to Grant Morrison's New X-Men run and have been reading everything from that point forward..... I'm currently in 2007......

This approach will probably not work for you for the most part though...... i would suggest using the Essentials in the begining, and maybe reading the full runs of the character/groups you are most interested in.... after a while, you will probably get the hang of what you like and what you want to skip, and you'll gradually notice you are reading more and more titles as you go.....

PostPosted: September 11th, 2017, 1:16 pm 
Hero for Hire

Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 142 times
Welcome!

Reading at first starts of slow due to some of the wordiness, but as you get further (the 70's and 80's) it starts to speed up and you can read more in a week, and by the time you hit 90's and 00's+ you should be able to fly through them.

Enjoy!

PostPosted: September 11th, 2017, 1:42 pm 
Avenger

Has liked: 1839 times
Been liked: 1320 times
Welcome!

PostPosted: September 11th, 2017, 1:47 pm 
Herald of Galactus

Has liked: 1667 times
Been liked: 1627 times
Welcome!!!!

I read everything. Did that for 6 years now.
I dont care If I made it to modern, or what that modern will be when I get there.

as long as its a pleasure I do it.
If it become a chore ill stop.

PostPosted: September 11th, 2017, 1:59 pm 
Minion

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 32 times
Welcome, and remember the comic box is your friend!

PostPosted: September 11th, 2017, 2:10 pm 
Sidekick

Has liked: 588 times
Been liked: 49 times
Welcome to the CMRO. What order are you planning to read:

- Main
- WW2
- Expanded
- Golden Age
Or all of them?

I read Expanded, so you might see a synopsis by yours truely. ;)

PostPosted: September 11th, 2017, 2:59 pm 
Caped Crusader

Has liked: 639 times
Been liked: 375 times
Welcome.
And don't forget the Duck

PostPosted: September 11th, 2017, 3:31 pm 
Avenger

Has liked: 2211 times
Been liked: 664 times
TZone wrote:
On a side note, I'm having two technical difficulties with the site. My signature doesn't seem to be working (I used [ cmrosig]my account number[/cmrosig])and my rated comic count is off by one. It actually goes to -1 if I unrate everything.

You could try going to your user stats page (let it load all the way). Every time you visit your user stats page it refreshes things like that. If that doesn't fix it, then it's something Travis has to fix. He's been busier than normal lately because of the hurricane (he lives in Texas) so it might be a little while before he can get to it. If the user stats page refresh doesn't fix it then post about it in the bugs thread here

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=307

And welcome to the forum! There have been a lot of new additions lately :)