Complete Marvel Reading Order

It is currently April 23rd, 2018, 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Marvel Hyborian reading order
PostPosted: January 12th, 2018, 9:43 pm 
Sidekick

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 119 times
tstarnes wrote:
Read it again.

The top part is talks about Conan, and conan things and lists those as copyright of CPI. It only covers names, related logos, characters and distinctive likeness.
It then says that no position of this publication may be reproduced or transmitted, in any for or by any means, without the express written permission of Dark Horse Comics.

That sentence is them holding the copyright to the contents of the comic itself. If CPI held the copyright for the comic and not just the characters and names used in the comic, it would have said CPI there.

That would render the following incoherent:

Tons of fully creator owned books from Image have the "permission from the publisher" thing too. That doesn't mean Image has the copyright, it means they have the publication rights, which to the best of my knowledge follow the license for most properties.

PostPosted: January 12th, 2018, 9:51 pm 
Beyonder

Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 3528 times
So, by this logic, any company that licenses Mickey Mouse has the right to publish anything mickey mouse was ever in?

IDW licensed Star Wars to make a few new star wars comics. Do they now have the right to publish anything by marvel or dark horse?

Getting a license does not transfer all works from all previous uses of the licensed material.

PostPosted: January 12th, 2018, 10:25 pm 
Sidekick

tstarnes wrote:
So, by this logic, any company that licenses Mickey Mouse has the right to publish anything mickey mouse was ever in?

IDW licensed Star Wars to make a few new star wars comics. Do they now have the right to publish anything by marvel or dark horse?

Getting a license does not transfer all works from all previous uses of the licensed material.

Not all licenses are the same (the IDW Star Wars sub-license is for a specific purpose and has it's own rules, similar to artist's editions and the like), but that *is* more or less how the full Disney comics license works if you look into it, yes. IDW currently has the rights to reprint any comics stories starring the classic characters that they wish to, regardless of their publisher or country of origin (aside from those by Carl Barks and Don Rosa, which were specifically carved out and licensed to Fantagraphics).

PostPosted: January 13th, 2018, 6:23 am 
Avenger

Has liked: 645 times
Been liked: 1471 times
Can confirm. The Dutch Duck publisher can print whatever it wants to, Barks, Rosa, Brazilian comics, Italian comics, comics from the 40s, American comics from last year -- are IDW even doing original material? -- all at no additional cost to them, with no royalties paid to anyone.

To the point Don Rosa, uh, trademarked his own name in an effort to try to retain some control over international publications. He explains it better than I would, one key sentence underlined by me:

[quote="Don Rosa"]What I did was hire a lawyer, at no small expense, and trademarked my name across Europe and South America. Disney publishers certainly had every right to use my comic stories — those were Disney property. But my name is not Disney property – it is my property. I was not so much annoyed that I was not receiving royalties on products sold using my name, but I had no quality control over the presentations. Often the wrong scripts were used at the whim of an editor or translator, often the wrong pages of art were used on continued stories, or there were coloring errors, etc. This sort of thing was fine in the weekly anthology, but if a book of all-Rosa stories is published with my name on the cover, fans assume I have some control over the product. Now I would see to it that I would.

I did not ask for royalties. I decided to ask simply for an annual fee for the use of my name to sell products. I sought advice from a European representatives of authors and artists and asked how much I should demand from Egmont each year. I was given the agent’s opinion of a fair fee. So, since my intention was mainly to show that I wanted some sort of control over the use of my name and the presentation of my work, the fee I quoted to Egmont was exactly half of the fee the agent recommended. I figured that way I was showing Egmont I was serious, but not trying to gouge them.[/url]
[url="http://career-end.donrosa.de/"](source)[/url]

Now, the punchline is, Dutch publications just stopped using his name altogether. :p

PostPosted: January 13th, 2018, 8:45 am 
Beyonder

But that's because he made them, he owns his own copyright. We are discussing a different situation. Say he license his name to another non-disney publisher. Does that non disney publisher now have the right to publish anything written in his name? Or just use his name for their own, new publication.

PostPosted: January 13th, 2018, 10:17 am 
Sidekick

tstarnes wrote:
But that's because he made them, he owns his own copyright. We are discussing a different situation. Say he license his name to another non-disney publisher. Does that non disney publisher now have the right to publish anything written in his name? Or just use his name for their own, new publication.

Don Rosa doesn't own the copyrights to any of his Disney work in any way shape or form and has no say at all regarding how that material is used, that's the whole point. He trademarked his name so that publishers would have to have a relationship with him and uphold certain standards quality control-wise if they wanted to use his name on covers for advertising purposes.

Disney owns the Disney comics, Conan Properties owns the Conan comics, Red Sonja, LLC owns the Red Sonja comics, Advance Magazine Publishers/Condé Nast owns The Shadow comics, and so on. That is the baseline standard for licensed comics, and as a rule, those licenses come with *all* of the reprint rights.

Alex Daily wrote:
are IDW even doing original material?

Yep! In the style of the 2013 Mickey Mouse shorts and the 2017 Ducktales TV series. I doubt those designs are part of a separate license given that Joe Books seems to have all of the (relatively) "modern" stuff like Darkwing Duck, Frozen, Pirates of the Caribbean, Disney Princesses, the various Pixar properties, etc.

Last edited by Azurfel on January 13th, 2018, 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: January 13th, 2018, 12:14 pm 
Beyonder

I still think you're wrong. It doesn't come with all reprint rights for everything ever written covering the thing licensed.

I ask again, if I license Mickey Mouse for a comic, would that then give me licensing rights to publish anything mickey mouse was ever in (in comics). If I license a spider-man comics, can I think publish any spider-man comic? If I license star trek characters, can I then publish any of the DC or Wildstorm Star Trek comcis?

The answer is no. You only have reprint rights of the joint licensed items, not carry through to product under the same licensed character by a different publisher.

PostPosted: January 13th, 2018, 12:30 pm 
Sidekick

tstarnes wrote:
I ask again, if I license Mickey Mouse for a comic, would that then give me licensing rights to publish anything mickey mouse was ever in (in comics). If I license a spider-man comics, can I think publish any spider-man comic? If I license star trek characters, can I then publish any of the DC or Wildstorm Star Trek comcis?

*Yes*, that is what we keep telling you.

Marvel doesn't license out Spider-Man as a whole comics property, so that's a non-factor, but IDW literally currently has the right to reprint any Mickey Mouse comic *and* any Star Trek comic.

Here's one of IDW's comixology pages that includes digital re-releases for a whole bunch of DC and Wildstorm era Star Trek: https://www.comixology.com/Star-Trek-Cl ... JpZXNMaXN0

Last edited by Azurfel on January 13th, 2018, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 13th, 2018, 12:51 pm 
Avenger

Smaller licenses are certainly possible and happen all the time -- i.e. Archie Comics are putting out Spider-Man digests, I don't think Fantagraphics can print anything outside of the remit of their wonderful archival collections, the Dutch publisher Dark Dragon Books can't print any Donald or Mickey besides Wizards of Mickey and their localisations of the IDW Donald Duck newspaper strip collections.

But: IDW and all the European Duck/Mouse publishers can explicitly print any Donald Duck or Mickey Mouse Disney comic they want, and that's true for IDW with Star Trek, Titan with Doctor Who, Dark Horse could print old Marvel Star Wars, etcetera.

Last edited by Alex Daily on January 13th, 2018, 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 13th, 2018, 12:55 pm 
Avenger

Heck, find me a major comics license for which this isn't true!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next