Complete Marvel Reading Order

It is currently June 22nd, 2017, 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Complete DC Comics Reading Order
PostPosted: February 16th, 2017, 3:23 pm 
Beyonder

Has liked: 430 times
Been liked: 2825 times
mrhodes, could you post here when you update your list in the first post, just so I know its updated? I am working off and on on getting a working order together so I could start on DCRO (don't worry, this will take a long while fragsel, I'm just doing some early prep work). I am still using your list as the basis, so when you updated I want to be able to update my working order to reflect your changes.

PostPosted: February 16th, 2017, 3:28 pm 
Minion

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 40 times
tstarnes wrote:
mrhodes, could you post here when you update your list in the first post, just so I know its updated? I am working off and on on getting a working order together so I could start on DCRO (don't worry, this will take a long while fragsel, I'm just doing some early prep work). I am still using your list as the basis, so when you updated I want to be able to update my working order to reflect your changes.

Will do. I've been trying to get January-June 1940 done so that it can be shifted out of the "in progress" section. I know there are more Fawcett comics and things like that to add to the period.

PostPosted: February 16th, 2017, 3:53 pm 
Minion

I added the rest of Fawcett comics up to the end of June 1940. This pushes the "complete" section about two months.

PostPosted: February 17th, 2017, 3:20 am 
Minion

Been liked: 32 times
Looks like you are really starting to get some momentum, exciting to see! :D

For the sake of pointing out missing stuff while it's still early: up to 1940.06, you are definitely missing stories from the following:

Funny Picture Stories (Centaur/The Clock)
Funny Pages (Centaur/The Clock)
Detective Picture Stories (Centaur/The Clock)
Keen Detective Funnies (Centaur/The Clock)
Mystery Men Comics (Fox/Blue Beetle)
Blue Beetle (Fox/Blue Beetle)
Master Comics (Fawcett)
What If Superman Ended the War? (Look Magazine)
Crack Comics (Quality)
Hit Comics (Quality)
National Comics (Quality)
Weekly Comic Magazine (Fox/Blue Beetle)
Green Mask (Fox/Blue Beetle)

Also a number of Fawcett ashcans, but i don't think any of those actually included unique material. I will try to double check that later.

There are also a number of implicitly DCU stories from issues/titles already included in the order that are missing, but i think we previously discussed this and you are only planning to include explicitly DCU connected material? So i'll not include those here. There may be explicitly DCU stuff missing as well, but nothing that really jumps out at me off the top of my head so far. I will keep an eye out (:

Edit: I took a quick glance through some early Action and Detective. I somehow forgot Speed Saunders, and he is 100% definitely DCU (he is Kendra Saunders/Hawkgirl's grandfather)
Edit 2: The Flash Comics/Thrill Comics ashcan includes the first 7 pages of the story from Whiz Comics #2 with a modified final page to close out the story. Not sure if that merits inclusion or not.

PostPosted: February 18th, 2017, 11:52 pm 
Minion

Azurfel wrote:

For the sake of pointing out missing stuff while it's still early: up to 1940.06, you are definitely missing stories from the following:

Master Comics (Fawcett)
Crack Comics (Quality)
Hit Comics (Quality)

Also a number of Fawcett ashcans, but i don't think any of those actually included unique material. I will try to double check that later.

There are also a number of implicitly DCU stories from issues/titles already included in the order that are missing, but i think we previously discussed this and you are only planning to include explicitly DCU connected material? So i'll not include those here. There may be explicitly DCU stuff missing as well, but nothing that really jumps out at me off the top of my head so far. I will keep an eye out (:

Edit: I took a quick glance through some early Action and Detective. I somehow forgot Speed Saunders, and he is 100% definitely DCU (he is Kendra Saunders/Hawkgirl's grandfather)
Edit 2: The Flash Comics/Thrill Comics ashcan includes the first 7 pages of the story from Whiz Comics #2 with a modified final page to close out the story. Not sure if that merits inclusion or not.

Wow. That's a lot to go through. Thanks. I will try and carve out some time in the next few days to go through it all.

PostPosted: February 19th, 2017, 2:10 am 
Minion

mrhodes wrote:
Wow. That's a lot to go through. Thanks. I will try and carve out some time in the next few days to go through it all.

Yeaaaah, sorry to dump four years worth of notes on you all at once. Last i knew, you were back in, like, 1937 and i wasn't sure what was missing and what you just hadn't gotten around to adding yet x.x

I will try to keep a better eye on your progress as you go from here on so any notes come in more manageable chunks.

Also, i mentioned this previously but i think it was lost in the shuffle: i went through every single known title ever published by DC and figured out which do and do not contain DCU material here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DEC2E ... su_Hg8jw74

(That's the pre-CoIE chunk, the post-CoIE-Flashpoint part is mostly done aside from a bit of cleanup. I will be sure that is ready before it is needed. I made a similar list for Image to facilitate the Wildstorm portion of an order, so i will get that cleaned up and posted at some point as well)

PostPosted: February 21st, 2017, 3:27 pm 
Minion

Azurfel wrote:

Master Comics (Fawcett)
Crack Comics (Quality)
Hit Comics (Quality)

How is the Clock connected to the DCU? I'm getting really mixed information online. From what I can tell the character was created by Centaur Publications. Quality bought Centaur, then DC bought Quality but I can't tell if DC ever used the Clock or actually tied him into anything. The only place that lists him as part of the DCU that I can find is the DC Wiki which is wrong a lot and it doesn't mention any specific connections.

EDIT: Starman, Vol. 2 #19 references a character named The Clock being killed back in 1941. However, this comic was published in 1996 which would make the Clock a character who exists in the Post-Crisis universe but only vaguely exists in Pre-Crisis with no official connections (basically putting him in the same place as Scoop Scanlon). Anything more definitive that is Pre-Crisis?

PostPosted: February 21st, 2017, 3:51 pm 
Minion

Added the Blue Beetle stories from Mystery Men Comics #1-6. Still need to go through the rest of Mystery Men Comics and any other comic series he appeared in.

PostPosted: February 21st, 2017, 6:28 pm 
Minion

mrhodes wrote:
EDIT: Starman, Vol. 2 #19 references a character named The Clock being killed back in 1941. However, this comic was published in 1996 which would make the Clock a character who exists in the Post-Crisis universe but only vaguely exists in Pre-Crisis with no official connections (basically putting him in the same place as Scoop Scanlon). Anything more definitive that is Pre-Crisis?

The Clock appeared alongside the other Quality-owned characters in Feature Funnies/Feature Comics/Crack Comics and was referenced in at least Starman. He is DCU, albeit by an unusual route.

When something was referenced shouldn't be relevant, only that it was. After all, pre-Crisis Earth-One is Years 1-10ish of the post-Crisis timeline and the other pre-Crisis Earths were integrated into the post-Crisis earth's history. Like, the official DC timelines reflect this even. Crisis wasn't a reboot and post-Crisis isn't a self-contained universe. People just like to pretend that is the case for some unfathomable reason.

PostPosted: February 21st, 2017, 9:48 pm 
Minion

Azurfel wrote:
mrhodes wrote:

The Clock appeared alongside the other Quality-owned characters in Feature Funnies/Feature Comics/Crack Comics and was referenced in at least Starman. He is DCU, albeit by an unusual route.

When something was referenced shouldn't be relevant, only that it was. After all, pre-Crisis Earth-One is Years 1-10ish of the post-Crisis timeline and the other pre-Crisis Earths were integrated into the post-Crisis earth's history. Like, the official DC timelines reflect this even. Crisis wasn't a reboot and post-Crisis isn't a self-contained universe. People just like to pretend that is the case for some unfathomable reason.

Sort of. The post-crisis world is a new universe. However, it is definitely a soft reboot. Many of the stories from Pre-Crisis Earth-One happened in the past in the Post-Crisis world but not necessarily in the same way. Whenever I read them I think "something like this, but not exactly this, happened in Post-Crisis". So post-crisis is a new universe but it pulls a lot from previous ones. Anyway, when something is referenced is very important. Since the Clock was referenced Post-Crisis it means that the Clock definitively exists in the Post-Crisis universe. Since elements of the Post-Crisis universe come from Pre-Crisis universes it means that the Clock existed Pre-Crisis. However, since he never officially crosses over in Pre-Crisis we can't definitively know what universe he existed in (although we can assume Earth-Quality based on the publisher).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next