Complete Marvel Reading Order

It is currently September 19th, 2017, 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: DC Golden Age Reading Order
PostPosted: May 19th, 2017, 9:27 am 
Minion

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 35 times
sewixo wrote:
I'd like to add it all, maybe even together with radio shows, in some Expanded DC order, but I don't know if it's possible to track them all down.

Between collections from IDW's Library of American Comics, older collections from other publishers or fan compilations on the internet, all three of the Batman series and the Wonder Woman series are easily available in full.

Superman and World's Greatest Superheroes are less complete.

For the daily Superman, 1939-1945 and 1959-1966 are available, the most recent release being 1942-1944 which came out like 3 months ago according to Amazon.

For the sunday Superman, 1939-1956 are available, with 1956-1959 scheduled for later this year.

World's Greatest Superheroes isn't currently receiving any official releases and is the least available in general, with only the first 4 of the 24 stories available on the internet last i knew.

sewixo wrote:
I don't really have any knowledge on the topic, just as the creators of Golden Age comics didn't either.

Tbh i think this actually helps, as you avoid the preconceptions that come with knowing what is to come.

sewixo wrote:
Azurfel seems to know what he's talking about though!

She actually :p

PostPosted: May 19th, 2017, 10:46 am 
Avenger

Has liked: 936 times
Been liked: 455 times
Azurfel, do you have a list of the foreign-produced comics, like the Brazilian Captain Marvel stories?

PostPosted: May 19th, 2017, 1:54 pm 
Minion

vanhornluke wrote:
Azurfel, do you have a list of the foreign-produced comics, like the Brazilian Captain Marvel stories?

Nope. DC doesn't seem to have anywhere near as much licensed comics material as Marvel does to begin with, and info on what they do have is quite thin (at least on the internets).

I know of the three Batman manga (all published in english by DC) and it seems that there was (probably) a Superman manga in 1960 as well, but haven't been able to find much info on that one (to the best of my recollection, there is a picture in the "non-US stuff" section of one of the coffee table books on the history of Superman and that was about it last i looked).

PostPosted: May 19th, 2017, 2:30 pm 
Caped Crusader

Has liked: 601 times
Been liked: 350 times
I have somewhere a comic called "Supermann i Norge" (Superman in Norway), a one-shot. I think it was only published in Scandinavia. It's from around 1990. But it will be a long time before the dc order reach that point

PostPosted: May 19th, 2017, 2:50 pm 
Avenger

I know there were original Captain Marvel stories published in Brazil, and there's the Indian Nagraj story in 1990 that was a crossover between Nagraj, Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man.

PostPosted: May 19th, 2017, 3:18 pm 
Minion

Gecko wrote:
I have somewhere a comic called "Supermann i Norge" (Superman in Norway), a one-shot. I think it was only published in Scandinavia. It's from around 1990. But it will be a long time before the dc order reach that point

Interesting! If you happen to find it, take a look at the indicia. My immediate guess from the name would be that it could one of DC's *many* promo comics, possibly made as a tourism type thing?

DC will (or would at one time) internally create one off promos for basically *anything* for the right price (so longs no one in charge found it fundamentally morally reprehensible), examples including things like a birthday comic starring Superman and a child from a rather wealthy family.

PostPosted: May 19th, 2017, 3:32 pm 
Caped Crusader

Don't think it is an promo-comic. I belive it was written by a danish guy.
And it was published in an album format and cost almost twice the amount of a normal comic at the time.

And did a google search just now and found this

PostPosted: May 19th, 2017, 3:44 pm 
Caped Crusader

Did a little more digging:
The original title was "A tale of five cities" and was made in connection with 50th anniversary of Superman. Published in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland and the Netherlands

PostPosted: May 19th, 2017, 4:26 pm 
Minion

Which has a rather in-depth and well sourced Wikipedia article! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman: ... ive_Cities

It says that DC's intent was for Superman stories to be produced all over the world for the 50th anniversary, but only the Danes chose to do so.

I suppose that may attest to the infrequency with which material like this was suggested or approved? Very interesting to think on.

PostPosted: May 19th, 2017, 4:50 pm 
Avenger

Azurfel wrote:
Gecko wrote:
DC will (or would at one time) internally create one off promos for basically *anything* for the right price (so longs no one in charge found it fundamentally morally reprehensible), examples including things like a birthday comic starring Superman and a child from a rather wealthy family.

Any such birthday comic that's officially licensed is fair game for inclusion, so if you know of any let us know. :geek:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next