Complete Marvel Reading Order

It is currently January 17th, 2018, 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Star Trek Order Corrections
PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 1:08 am 
Beyonder

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 3330 times
Now that it's live, lets use this for any corrections that need to be made to the ST order.

Post subject: Re: Star Trek Order Corrections
PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 5:46 am 
Avenger

Has liked: 614 times
Been liked: 1396 times
I'm way more out of my element here than I am with Star Wars or the MCU, but: The Lives of Dax seems to have a framing device of Ezri telling the stories in the anthology to another character. Shouldn't the whole anthology go wherever you've put the first and last stories?

PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 9:14 am 
Beyonder

Quite Possibly. Hey luke, have you read this? I am not to it yet, but if it was to all go together, do you have thoughts on where it would go?

PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 9:18 am 
Boy Wonder

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 109 times
The frame has Ezri talking to Vic about how she got the Dax symbiont, so it should go sometime after "Shadows and Symbols." I haven't read it recently enough to offer more specific placement than that.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 9:25 am 
Beyonder

K, I updated my list and will reuse that listing.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 12:22 pm 
Avenger

Has liked: 1060 times
Been liked: 517 times
Travis, since your question to me has already been answered, I thought I'd ask you a question:

I see that you've got a separate order for the Abramsverse (although the official name is the Kelvin Timeline; I don't know if you'd rather use the official name or not). Do you plan to have other separate orders (e.g., Shatnerverse, UK comics continuity, Byrneverse, 80s novel continuity, STO and tie-ins)? Trying to shove everything but the new Kelvin films into a single reading order will likely be confusing (but I also acknowledge that there is no official delineation between many of the continuities, so in some cases separating them out would be a little arbitrary).

PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 12:27 pm 
Beyonder

No. Much of it will all be shoved together. They aren't any more contradictory than some of the novels are from the shows. There are a few things, where there is an alt. future, that I can't make fit. But I've read through most of ST in the past, and shatnerverse and 80s novels aren't so mutually exclusive to be bad.

The conflicts are no worse than legends star wars.

Abrams however is really a distict thing, and its having movies is something people would recognize. Shatnerverse and 80s novels are a lot more compatible than the abramsverse.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 12:34 pm 
Avenger

Well, STO is fundamentally incompatible with the novelverse. There's just no way in the world they're the same continuity (and the STO novel tie-in establishes that the novelverse is an alternate reality to STO). The UK comics portray the Romulans as Roman-garbed humans, have the Enterprise routinely exploring other galaxies, there is no UFP but rather the Space Federation, etc. The newspaper strip has Ilia as an Enterprise crewmember after the events of TMP. And the 80s-continuity novels portray the Klingons and Romulans in ways that are incompatible with how they were depicted in TNG. If you want to list all of these in the same reading order (rather than breaking them up by continuity), then there should probably be a FAQ explaining this.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 12:40 pm 
Beyonder

Yea, I was iffy on STO, and wasn't sure if I would have it in or not. The comics I'm less worried about. Legends is officially all 1 continuity, and some of those comics totally contradict the books.

Your right though, I should be more clear in the FAQ.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 1:00 pm 
Avenger

STO has a novel tie-in and several short stories, so if you exclude the game you'd have to exclude them as well.

Regarding the FAQ, what's your source for saying that the old Spock that appears in the new films isn't from the prime timeline? I thought it was pretty clear that he's supposed to be the same Spock that we saw in the original show and films. That's why the current novel authors have slowed down their march forward in the timeline, since they don't want to reach 2387 (when Romulus is destroyed and Spock disappears) before Bad Robot changes their mind and allows them to depict those events (it's been shown in the Countdown comic series, but that series is incompatible with the novelverse).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next