Complete Marvel Reading Order

It is currently January 17th, 2018, 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Star Trek Order Corrections
PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 1:11 pm 
Beyonder

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 3330 times
I can't remember where I read that, but I do remember reading it. Could be wrong.

If I was to shove the abramsverse into the order, it would have to go at the very end. I couldn't imagine trying to read 80s kirk stuff and abramsverse stuff concurently. Now that would be confusing. Especially since a lot of the extra non-movie material retells stories form the TOS show.

And of course, I would have to totally recode the whole site.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 1:17 pm 
Avenger

Has liked: 614 times
Been liked: 1396 times
Yeah, I've never heard anything about Old Spock being from a universe besides the regular ol' TOS one.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 1:19 pm 
Avenger

Has liked: 1060 times
Been liked: 517 times
I'm not saying the Abramsverse stuff should be in the same order. After all, Abramsverse and Prime timeline are two distinct continuities. It's just that the Prime Spock (and Prime Nero and his crew) travel from the Prime timeline to the Abramsverse through a black hole. I would still recommend that they remain two distinct reading orders, just modify the FAQ to remove the claim about Spock that I'm pretty sure is incorrect.

An interesting option if you keep them separate would be to place the Countdown comic series in the Abramsverse order. It's fundamentally incompatible with the novelverse (the manner of Data's resurrection, for example, is totally different, and Picard isn't an ambassador in the novelverse), and it exists solely as backstory for Nero, so even though it's supposed to be set in the "prime" timeline, it might make sense to just put it with the Abramsverse stories it's a prequel to, rather than lumped in with the novelverse stories that it doesn't fit with.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 1:20 pm 
Beyonder

I updated the faq

PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 1:21 pm 
Beyonder

vanhornluke wrote:
I'm not saying the Abramsverse stuff should be in the same order. After all, Abramsverse and Prime timeline are two distinct continuities. It's just that the Prime Spock (and Prime Nero and his crew) travel from the Prime timeline to the Abramsverse through a black hole. I would still recommend that they remain two distinct reading orders, just modify the FAQ to remove the claim about Spock that I'm pretty sure is incorrect.

An interesting option if you keep them separate would be to place the Countdown comic series in the Abramsverse order. It's fundamentally incompatible with the novelverse (the manner of Data's resurrection, for example, is totally different, and Picard isn't an ambassador in the novelverse), and it exists solely as backstory for Nero, so even though it's supposed to be set in the "prime" timeline, it might make sense to just put it with the Abramsverse stories it's a prequel to, rather than lumped in with the novelverse stories that it doesn't fit with.

That makes sense.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 1:23 pm 
Avenger

And re: all that contradictory stuff, Star Trek's approach to canon has always been to shrug and pretend there definitely isn't an elephant in the room -- you'd have to have, what, 15 different Orders to untangle it all completely? The all-on-a-big-pile thing is as good as any other solution.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 1:27 pm 
Avenger

Even when it's red-shirted Captain Kurt of the Space Federation commanding the Enterprise as it explores other galaxies?

PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 1:50 pm 
Avenger

Love that guy. Favourite captain of the Entireprise.

PostPosted: February 5th, 2017, 9:29 am 
Minion

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 15 times
You have put the Writer for "Strange New Worlds VI: The Beginning" as G. Wood when it is Annie Reed.
G. Wood Wrote "A Piece of the Pie"

PostPosted: February 11th, 2017, 12:07 pm 
Avenger

Travis, I see that your last addition is Glass Empires. I don't think that should be included. It's an anthology, so instead the individual stories should be included, rather than the entire anthology as a single entry. The stories within are:
Age of the Empress, by Dayton Ward and Kevin Dilmore
The Sorrows of Empire, by David Mack
The Worst of Both Worlds, by Greg Cox
There's a complication, since Mack later expanded his story into a novel-length book which was published separately (but still with the same title). The expanded novel should be listed instead of the original novella.

Edit: Oh, I also wanted to ask about "These are the Voyages," the last episode of Enterprise. Technically, the only characters that appear are Riker and Troi, so in a chronological order that episode should go with TNG. However, the novel The Good That Men Do wouldn't make much sense without having seen "These are the Voyages." The novel heavily retcons the episode, saying that the holodeck program Riker uses is based upon intentional misinformation by Starfleet, and so the events it depicts never happened (at least, not like they're shown in the episode), but you won't really understand what the novel is doing if you haven't seen the episode it's retconning.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next