Complete Marvel Reading Order

It is currently November 23rd, 2017, 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: MCU Order Corrections
PostPosted: July 15th, 2017, 1:25 pm 
Beyonder

Has liked: 454 times
Been liked: 3168 times
I like the ordering and will make moves later this week.

On doctor strange, Fragsel is right, it depends what happens in Ragnorok and how it ties into the after credits scene in doctor stragne. I could see how it leads directly out of it (strange agrees to help look for Odin), but it really depends on the movie.

PostPosted: July 15th, 2017, 2:11 pm 
Avenger

Has liked: 160 times
Been liked: 356 times
fragsel wrote:
Oh, OK. I found article about MCU timeline and how Doctor Strange is probably supposed to be set somewhere in the future...

Since nothing can be known for sure till we see Thor Ragnarok I see no point in placing Doctor Strange out of order for now...

We can always discuss that in the future when we know more (hopefully, after we see Ragnarok}

Yeah, that's a good point.

PostPosted: July 15th, 2017, 3:40 pm 
Minion

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 5 times
Jessica Henwick (actress of Colleen Wing) said that Defenders will take place 1 month after Iron Fist. Of course we can only be 100% percent sure when it comes out but at least it’s a possible time frame to work with.
Source: https://mcuexchange.com/defenders-takes ... a-henwick/

Generally I like your suggested list but it’s maybe a little too far stretched to put 3 Netflix seasons in the time span between the end of Jessica Jones and SM: Homecoming. I would definitely let Iron Fist stay where it currently is, right after AoS S04.
To explain why:
When Jessica Jones ends it’s still winter in New York while Daredevil S02 starts in the middle of the summer and takes place over the course of a few months until around Christmas. So that season alone (including the time gap between Jessica Jones) covers the time span of almost a whole year of the Netflix side of things.
As you have already pointed out that Luke Cage definitely takes place right after Daredevil S02 it’s only correct to put it right behind it. Now between Luke Cage and Iron Fist there has to be a longer time span. At the end of Luke Cage Claire finds the flyer of Colleen’s dojo while in Iron Fist she already fights decent enough that she can take on a member of the hand. Even if we ignore that this whole situation is too ridiculous to begin with she definitely needed at least some time to train and learn to make that any believable. Personally I don’t think that AoS S03, Civil War and the 2 months time gap (and even the time between Homecoming and AoS S04) cover that much ground that all of this could possibly happen concurrent to it.

Regarding Doctor Strange I wholly agree with all of you. We need to see Thor: Ragnarok first before we can properly order it in the timeline.

PostPosted: July 15th, 2017, 4:00 pm 
Herald of Galactus

Has liked: 1674 times
Been liked: 1639 times
So what is Your suggestion here?
How would You order all of this to include or those summer/christmas/training experiance observations?

{remembering Daredevil Season 1 takes place shortly after Avengers, while Spider-man takes place 8 years after that? }

PostPosted: July 15th, 2017, 4:05 pm 
Herald of Galactus

OK. I withdraw my question (cause You already answered that)

PostPosted: July 15th, 2017, 4:10 pm 
Herald of Galactus

Since events in Agents of SHIELD season 4 seems really compressed (it seems like it all cannot be more than a month) I would agree with You, but move Iron Fist immidiatelly prior to AoS season 4

That way we can have that month between Iron Fist and Defenders
If We assume Daredevil+Luke Cage takes place simultanously with Aos Season 3 (which is a long span of time) there is time for Claire to train all she wants (although I admit I did not feel she is Master of Kung Fu in this series. It looked to me like she is beginer in her training with Coleen)

PostPosted: July 15th, 2017, 5:43 pm 
Minion

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 5 times
As it was already pointed out in the other thread makes the 8 years annotation in Homecoming absolutely no sense and contradicts everything that all the other MCU properties have established timeline wise to this point. So personally I have to ignore that until Marvel Studios publishes an official timeline and just go with the 2 months after Civil War info to determine its position.

My personal order looks slightly different than yours regarding the Netflix positions but as I wanted to respect your release date approach and didn't want to overthrow a huge part of your timeline I haven’t said anything about it as it still worked with my suggestions. But now that you have asked for my opinion on how I would personally order it I will just post my own order and try to explain my choices (I only have the Movies, TV-Shows and One-Shots in my order but I'm sure that the Tie-In's could easily fit in as well):

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Season 1 - E17-E22
Daredevil - Season 1 - E01-E13
Jessica Jones - Season 1 - E01-E13
Guardians of the Galaxy
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Season 2 - E01-E10
Agent Carter - Season 1 - E01-E08
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Season 2 - E11-E19
The Avengers 2: Age of Ultron
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Season 2 - E20-E22
Daredevil - Season 2 - E01-E13
Luke Cage - Season 1 - E01-E13
Ant-Man
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Season 3 - E01-E10
Agent Carter - Season 2 - E01-E10
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Season 3 - E11-E19
Captain America 3: Civil War
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Season 3 - E20-E22
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Iron Fist - Season 1 - E01-E13
? Defenders - Season 1 - E01-E08
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Doctor Strange
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Season 4 - E01-E08
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Slingshot - Season 1 - E01-E06
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Season 4 - E09-E22

For now I will still go with the assumption that the first Avengers movie takes place in May 2012 like it was well established until Homecoming decided to throw everything over.

In Daredevil S01 it was mentioned that the Battle of New York was around 2 years ago. Also the weather gets progressively colder throughout the season which means we can pin point it to Fall/Winter 2014.

Now Jessica Jones has a specific date on the hospital records of the day where she escaped Kilgrave. It's dated to January 2014 and it’s stated that this happened around a year ago which means that Jessica Jones S01 has to take place in early 2015. The winter weather and Claire’s appearance support that even more (and it simultaneously confirms the date for Daredevil S01 as well).

As both seasons aren’t that far apart time wise I chose to order them directly behind each other. Of course they both theoretically take place concurrent to the events of AoS S02 but as Agent Carter already takes a lot of time in between this season and as it would be too late to put them after Age of Ultron I’ve decided to put the Netflix shows before it.

The position of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1 depends on your priorities if you want to go for accuracy or a smoother viewing experience. Accuracy wise it should be ordered between AoS S01 and Daredevil S01 as it takes place somewhere in 2014 (and not too far at the end of 2014 as Vol. 2 take place in 2014 as well and happens a few months after Vol. 1, so you can’t put it between Daredevil S01 and Jessica Jones).
Viewing experience wise I like to put it right before AoS S02 as it thematically builds a great bridge around the Kree which are a part in both Vol.1 and the first half of AoS S02. It also reduces the distance to its sequel as Vol. 2 has to be pushed way more behind as it was originally intended by the director because of the Stan Lee situation.

As for the positions of Daredevil S02 and Luke Cage I've already said everything in my last post. I only have to add that the year that Daredevil covers has to be 2015 and that we also have a concrete date on camera footage in Luke Cage (December 2015) which also confirms their positions in the timeline. Thanks to the episode title of AoS S03E05 we also know the exact time span between the end of AoS S02 the end of AoS S03E02 - 4.722 hours (the time Simmons spent on Maveth) which are roughly 6 ½ months. That’s about the same time span that Daredevil S02 and Luke Cage cover, so they fit shockingly perfect in between the both seasons time wise.

With Ant-Man you have the same situation as with the first Guardians movie. Accuracy wise you would need to put it between AoS S02 and Daredevil S02 but for a smoother viewing experience I tend to put it right before AoS S03 as Falcon tries to recruit him at the end of the movie and the after credit scene is an actual scene from the middle of Civil War. So it just makes sense to me to put it very near to Civil War itself (you can’t push it nearer to Civil War as AoS S03E01 refers to the events of the movie).

I already pointed out why Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 has to come after Civil War because of the Stan Lee cameo but as we shouldn’t place it unnecessarily farther away from its originally intended place in the timeline as it already has to be it should come directly after AoS S03. In that position you also have another thematic bridge around the Kree like it was the case with the first Guardians movie.

The positions of Iron Fist and Defenders are just the logical continuation of the previous positions of the Netflix shows but of course we have to wait for the Defenders to be absolutely sure about it.
I agree with you though that Claire fights like a beginner but apparently she is already good enough to keep it up with a member of the hand which means she clearly hasn’t joined Colleens class just last month. I think that my order reflects that quite well.

As for Doctor Strange we have to wait for Thor: Ragnarok to find its definitive position but for now I’m tending to just put it between Spider-Man: Homecoming and AoS S04 as it establishes magic in the MCU which gets also used in S04 (thematic bridge) and fills the current time gap between Homecoming and AoS S04.

I really hope that I don’t come off as an elitist random dude who shows up out of nowhere and tell you guys what you all did wrong. It’s just that I’m very invested in the MCU timeline and recently found your website as I want to start to read the whole 616 universe.
I love your comic project and as I found out that you have a similar project for the MCU I just wanted to share some of my oberservations on a universe where I think that I can actually give some useful input as I already did that work for myself.

Last edited by CriticalCid on July 15th, 2017, 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: July 15th, 2017, 7:23 pm 
Avenger

Has liked: 160 times
Been liked: 356 times
Both Fragsel's order and CriticalCid's orders are really solid. Ragnorak and Defenders might force us to use one over the other, but as of right now, they both work. They both take watchability into account

I think we have to ask ourselves, what's more important? Release order or chronology?

Also, Travis, are you going to make a publication Date order of the MCU like you have for other orders?

PostPosted: July 15th, 2017, 7:42 pm 
Beyonder

Has liked: 454 times
Been liked: 3168 times
I hadn't planned on it. It's mostly in pub. order now, and there just aren't that many listings.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2017, 12:58 am 
Herald of Galactus

@CinicalCid

I really like Your order based on Your attention to details. I can see You're a man after my own heart...

This is actually really great chronological order.
Yet personally I would probably not used it, cause just like Alex I would love to see the movies in release order.

But of course it's all make sense so If Travis chose to do it Your way I won't argue...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next