Complete Marvel Reading Order

It is currently November 23rd, 2017, 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: MCU Order Corrections
PostPosted: July 16th, 2017, 6:00 am 
Minion

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 5 times
Thanks for the kind words guys! I put a lot of thought in my order to create the best possible mixture of chronology and a very smooth viewing experience. It’s great to be able to share it with other people :)

The only movie that currently isn’t in release order is Doctor Strange for the stated reasons like the unknown time period it covers, how Ragnarok will shake things up and the thematic bridges to AoS. Of course you could switch it around and come up with something like this

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Season 3 - E20-E22
Doctor Strange
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Iron Fist - Season 1 - E01-E13
? Defenders - Season 1 - E01-E08
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Season 4 - E01-E08

(Alternatively you could move Strange and Vol. 2 between Iron Fist and Defenders or after both of them and right before Homecoming but that is something to discuss when Defenders was actually released)

But like I said will we have to wait for Defenders and Ragnarok to make a final decision about it.

For now was my decision based on the currently best viewing experience (thematic bridges to AoS regarding Vol. 2 and Doctor Strange; the intention of the AoS creators that you see Doctor Strange around the same time as the Ghost Rider arc of S04) and chronology (Vol. 2 actually taking place in 2014, so order it as soon as possible once the Stan Lee cameo situation is solved; the after credit scene of Strange probably leading into Thor: Ragnarok) over release order.
As you can’t properly order the TV shows based on release dates (while keeping a good viewing experience) I found it justifiable when one movie isn’t in release order as well, especially when the 3 movies in question aren't overlapping in any way. And to my protection it isn’t that far off of its original release date position ;)

But when you personally weight release order over everything else than that’s also fine to me and a legit point to make that I can’t argue with.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2017, 8:36 am 
Beyonder

Has liked: 454 times
Been liked: 3168 times
For this order, I generally want to keep the movies in release order (Unless for some reason something really crazy happens with the way Marvel is releasing movies). We can fudge the shows, but the more I think about it, the more I think Alex is right. They are the linchpin to the whole thing.

So I am now officially lost. What would the new ordering look like if we kept the movies in release order?

PostPosted: July 17th, 2017, 9:05 am 
Herald of Galactus

Has liked: 1674 times
Been liked: 1639 times
tstarnes wrote:

So I am now officially lost. What would the new ordering look like if we kept the movies in release order?

either What i wrote here:
viewtopic.php?p=154509#p154509

Or what cinicalcid wrote in The first post on this page

PostPosted: July 17th, 2017, 11:05 am 
Minion

It really depends if you want the overall order to be more chronological or based on the release dates.

If you want to have the Netflix shows close to their release dates, you should use fragsel’s list.

If you want a chronological order that puts the Netflix shows into the right context and timeframe you should use mine.
viewtopic.php?p=154525#p154525
Just move Doctor Strange in between the end of AoS S03 and Guardians Vol. 2 to have the movies in release order as well.
I hope I’ve explained everything well enough in my last posts why I think that my chronological order is pretty accurate and still offers a very smooth viewing experience. But if you have some more questions about some positions I'd be happy to answer them :)

Last edited by CriticalCid on July 17th, 2017, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2017, 12:05 pm 
Avenger

Has liked: 160 times
Been liked: 356 times
My two cents is that we should go chronology over release order (outside of the movies).

For instance, I didn't know that Daredevil season 1 and Jessica Jones took place so close to each other. I think this order would benefit from doing things like putting those two seasons together.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2017, 12:54 pm 
Beyonder

I however didn't want to jam all the "flashback" comics near the front of the order, which is what would happen in a "chronological except for the movies" order.

After Cap 1, you'd have a traffic jam of fury & and black widow comics set before Iron Man.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2017, 2:42 pm 
Minion

I agree. Almost every large universe with a huge amount of flashback and prequel titles faces the problem that a strict chronological viewing/reading order kills a lot of the momentum and in the worst cases spoil a lot for new readers/viewers. In my opinion are strict chronological orders only for a certain group of hardcore enthusiasts who already read/saw everything at least ones. As they already know everything, they care less when the narrative flow isn’t as smooth as it could be because they take their joy more out of the chronological timeline itself when they revisit the universe for a second time.
I for one care a lot about chronology (I guess we all do here) but still enjoy a smooth narration more than a history class of a fictive universe.

That's why my philosophy for my order is to find the middle ground. I try to keep the chronology of the non-flashback items the best I can (but also do some minor adjustments where it would improve the overall flow; like I did it with Guardians Vol. 1 and Ant-Man) and put the prequels/flashback issues either in context of the referred item or by release date (like for example Agent Carter). I haven’t added the comics to my personal order yet but I would certainly put the prequel tie-in’s in front or after (in cases where they spoil twists or major plot points) of the respective movies, basically the exact same way like you guys already handling it. And like I said, it's no big deal to move Doctor Strange in my order. Sure, it will take the momentum out of the thematic bridges to AoS but that's no biggie as it won't break anything else. If you want to keep the backbone of the MCU in release order than that's an absolute legit point that I won't argue with.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2017, 2:50 pm 
Beyonder

Does anyone else have thoughts on AoS season 4 happening after homecoming & guardians?

PostPosted: July 17th, 2017, 3:15 pm 
Herald of Galactus

Since, as CinicalCid pointed out, homecoming is set 2 months, and Aos at least 6 months after Civil War i think it definitely should be listed after homecoming, which was released after Guardians....

PostPosted: July 17th, 2017, 3:18 pm 
Herald of Galactus

And Guardians were released during Aos season, so no problem there...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next