Complete Marvel Reading Order

It is currently April 25th, 2018, 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Father/Son Order Commentary
PostPosted: December 7th, 2017, 10:32 pm 
Beyonder

Has liked: 482 times
Been liked: 3535 times
So my seven almost eight year old son came to me today and said he'd heard all about the marvel movies and said he really wanted to see them (he's seen guardians 2 and Spider-Man Homecoming, but didn't realize they were connected). I am super pumped to watch all the shows/movies (well, maybe all. I'm 50/50 on the netflix shows. They don't actually show anything, but, most of the shows have something that's borderline for what I feel comfortable with him seeing. Jessica Jones has some, fairly explicit sex scenes...no nudity, but explicit. And punisher, and even DD season 2, may be too dark).

So We started today....I'm gonna keep a running commentary on his reactions.

Today we read Fast Friends #1. He says it was great, gave it a 5. A lot of the jokes went way over his head, but he found some of it funny and he liked when Rhodey punched the guy at the club.

We watched the first 30 min of Iron Man (up to right when Rhodey gets to Tony after Tony escapes). He said it was AWESOME (he added maybe 50 exclamation marks to that). He got really worried when Tony was captured, and kept asking if they were going to kill Tony. The flashback threw him, and he wasn't really sure what to make of it, and mostly wanted to talk about the first scene when tony is in the humvee when it blew up, but as soon as they transition back to real time, he was back on board. When Tony came out in the suit, he stood up and cheered, and pretended to fight along with tony. Kept telling the bad guys they were dumb, cause Tony was bullet proof. He did not like Yensen dying, said it made him sad.

We are going to finish watching Iron Man tomorrow. If he likes the grey Mark I, I can't imagine how he's gonna take the real suit.

Post subject: Re: Father/Son Order Commentary
PostPosted: December 7th, 2017, 11:14 pm 
Avenger

Has liked: 2370 times
Been liked: 687 times
I’m rewatching all of the MCU with my 10-year-old son. He has seen all the movies but it has been a long time for some of them. He has seen a few episodes here and there of Agents of Shield before. He watched a few episodes of Daredevil Season 1 with me when it came out. That was about it.

We are in Daredevil Season 2 now. He seems to tune out when the Netflix shows are on. I don’t know if it’s because they move slower than the movies do or what, but I find him asking if we can just skip over them to get back to Agents if Shield or a movie. He wasn’t very fond of Jessica Jones (I muted the TV and made him cover his eyes every time a sex scene came on). But he gets super excited when he sees things connect. Like when I was watching The Punisher right when it was released he freaked out for a minute when Karen Page showed up. He said “Is that the same character from Daredevil?!”

I have a feeling he is going to like Iron Fist for some reason lol. I’m sure he will love Defenders. And it will be worth making him sit through all the Netflix shows just to get his reaction to Defenders.

Funnily enough he couldn’t watch more than a couple of episodes of The Punisher with me before getting bored but he seemed more excited when Punisher showed up in DD S2.

He almost dropped a deuce in his pants when he saw the trailer for Infinity War (especially freaked out about Vision).

Didn’t mean to hijack your thread here. I wish that my son hadn’t really watched all the movies as they were released. He didn’t have much of a reaction to most of them because he watched them when he was so young. But he did love Ragnarok as much as I did :)

Last edited by Spider-Borg on December 7th, 2017, 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 7th, 2017, 11:18 pm 
Avenger

Is it ok if I post any updates here as well or is it meant to be more of a personal thread? If that’s the case I’ll move mine to a different thread. Just say the word!

PostPosted: December 7th, 2017, 11:22 pm 
Beyonder

We tried Avengers when he was 6, and it was to much for him. He found it really scary. But last year he watched Guardians 2 and loved it (although, that's not a fair comparison, since guardians is practically a cartoon and perfect for kids). We watched homecoming early this year and he was scared...right up till the last fight scene with the vulture, which I don't understand. Conversations in a highschool hallway had him closing his eyes, but hanging on the outside of a cloaked jet was ok for some reason.

But he watched Justice League with his uncle 2 weeks ago and said he loved it (well, he said there was a bunch of boring stuff, but the fights were great), so i figured he was ready for the movies. We'll see how it goes.

Yea, my concern for the netflix shows, more so than even the content, is the pacing is NOT targeted at kids. It works for me, but for a kid, I could see it moving very slow.

(And it's fine if you want to post here. I thought since we're all super jaded comic book people, it'd be nice to see a fresh take on the MCU. Especially since, besides the vaguest ideas, he doesn't know much about comics ... yet. [But that's a project for another day])

PostPosted: December 8th, 2017, 1:05 am 
Avenger

tstarnes wrote:
We tried Avengers when he was 6, and it was to much for him. He found it really scary.

My kids have been watching horror movies since they were younger than that. That's almost exclusively what we watch together lol

I guess you can say they are super desensitized to violence and scary imagery (except for when they watched IT earlier this year lol )

PostPosted: December 8th, 2017, 5:02 am 
Avenger

Has liked: 646 times
Been liked: 1473 times
I keep trying to watch Guardians of the Galaxy with my giant cat Misha, but he keeps getting distracted by small bugs and his own butt.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2017, 8:38 am 
Sidekick

Has liked: 760 times
Been liked: 72 times
I thought that this was a Bot Post and that Travis was replying to it. :lol:

PostPosted: December 8th, 2017, 10:48 pm 
Beyonder

We finished Iron Man tonight. He loved it. He was a little bored by the intrigue part as Tony figures out what Obadiah's up to, but he loved the last fight. And when Stark Says "I am Iron Man", he was like "Oh my gosh...". It floored him. He also liked Nick Fury, who he said looked cool. He gave it 5 stars.

We then read I am Iron Man #1. He said "ehh, it was like the movie". I explained that we learned Fury was watching Stark, and he's the one who told them where to rescue start, but that did not seem terribly important. Gave it 3 stars, saying it was kinda boring since he'd already seen it once, but the pictures of the battle and suit were cool. He was not wowed by reading a reprint.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2017, 10:59 pm 
Celestial

Has liked: 2611 times
Been liked: 1337 times
tstarnes wrote:
We finished Iron Man tonight. He loved it. He was a little bored by the intrigue part as Tony figures out what Obadiah's up to, but he loved the last fight. And when Stark Says "I am Iron Man", he was like "Oh my gosh...". It floored him. He also liked Nick Fury, who he said looked cool. He gave it 5 stars.

We then read I am Iron Man #1. He said "ehh, it was like the movie". I explained that we learned Fury was watching Stark, and he's the one who told them where to rescue start, but that did not seem terribly important. Gave it 3 stars, saying it was kinda boring since he'd already seen it once, but the pictures of the battle and suit were cool. He was not wowed by reading a reprint.

yeah, I think reprints, even when they add new small details are not going to be that interesting to younger kids....

maybe adding a significant new scene might be, but even then it's like, "ok dad, show me the extra stuff"....

PostPosted: December 9th, 2017, 8:33 am 
Beyonder

Yea, he said "Just skip to the new stuff" after 2 pages.