Complete Marvel Reading Order

It is currently September 26th, 2017, 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37
 Post subject: Re: Working Order
PostPosted: August 7th, 2017, 1:10 am 
Avenger

Has liked: 158 times
Been liked: 347 times
I'm on the fourth Doctor's story A Device of Death.

I don't understand all of the Harry and Sarah Jane stories inbetween Robot and An Ark in Space. That was clearly supposed to be Harry's first trip, so Harry going on a bunch of adventures doesn't make any sense.

PostPosted: August 7th, 2017, 5:29 am 
Avenger

Has liked: 568 times
Been liked: 1293 times
This is how Andrew Kearley explains it:

Quote:
Although the end of Robot would seem to lead into The Ark in Space and thus the whole Nerva Beacon/time ring arc, Death Flower! opens with the Doctor and Sarah both commenting on the novelty of his new face, indicating that it takes place soon after the regeneration. So it seems that the Tardis trip at the end of Robot is no more than a quick bit of showing-off to Harry.

There's more than a few gaps like this one that don't always make sense, but are, at a stretch, the only way for certain companion combinations to persist in non-televised fiction. (The Sara Kingdom Early Adventures stories come to mind.) Or, alternatively, they were created by Annual writers who didn't really give much of a shit.

PostPosted: August 7th, 2017, 9:47 am 
Avenger

Alex Daily wrote:
This is how Andrew Kearley explains it:

Quote:
Although the end of Robot would seem to lead into The Ark in Space and thus the whole Nerva Beacon/time ring arc, Death Flower! opens with the Doctor and Sarah both commenting on the novelty of his new face, indicating that it takes place soon after the regeneration. So it seems that the Tardis trip at the end of Robot is no more than a quick bit of showing-off to Harry.

There's more than a few gaps like this one that don't always make sense, but are, at a stretch, the only way for certain companion combinations to persist in non-televised fiction. (The Sara Kingdom Early Adventures stories come to mind.) Or, alternatively, they were created by Annual writers who didn't really give much of a shit.

But, the Sara Kingdom Adventures work because, though unintentional, there was a small gap of time there where the 3 of them were traveling, and the EU stuffed that gap as full as possible.

These Annual writers clearly didn't give a shit. And I believe our first priority should be to the show. In the show, Harry's first trip is to the ark. It doesn't make sense any other way, and the Annuals do nothing to make sense of it.

I have no problem with the placement of Deathflower. It's conceivable that the Doctor and Sarah went on a mission sometime between when the Robot was destroyed and when they left with Harry.

I'll even concede the short stories with just the Doctor and Sarah. I don't understand why they had to be there, but it doesn't really mess anything up putting them there.

But I'm strongly against those Harry stories being where they are. I'd rather they go later in the order with a flashback tag. Kind of an admission of, "These stories make no sense in the continuity, but they're part of the order, so you make sense of where they should go."

I'll say more once I've gotten a bit further, though.

PostPosted: August 10th, 2017, 12:03 am 
Avenger

Ok, Alex, I've just finished Terror of the Zygons and I've got a suggestion.

I just simply don't buy that Harry went on other adventures on the TARDIS before the Ark. But given how season 12 flows from me serial to the next, those Harry stories just don't fit (unlike A Device of Death, which did find a way to squeeze itself into the narrative).

Something that is clear is the the 1976 Annual stories are supposed to take place during season 12, even though that doesn't make sense. Thus, I suggest that we put these stories after season 12 and mark them as flashbacks.

Here's my suggestion:

red = flashback

Robot
Death Flower
The Ark in Space
The Sontaran Experiment
Genesis of the Daleks
A Device of Death
The Last Thing You Ever See
Revenge of the Cybermen
A New Life
Vampires of Crellium
On the Slippery Trail
Conscription
Avast There!
The Hospitality of Hankus
The Pyschic Jungle
The Sinister Sponge
Nuerotic Nightmare
The Mission
The Heat Seekers
To Kill A Namdi Bear

Nanorphesis
Terror of the Zygons

The advantage of this is that this way, the season 12 narrative still flows while still including these stories. And while the end of Revenge of the Cybermen did lead into Terror of the Zygons, it didn't directly. Some time had passed, and they even went to Prague first.

I included A New Life - Conscription here because they were bunched together before, but is there any reason why those stories don't come a little later? It's just Sarah Jane and the Doctor...

PostPosted: August 10th, 2017, 4:23 am 
Avenger

I've made this adjustment on my spreadsheet.

Having not read any of these: The two World of Doctor Who stories are there because that book is, in large part, a reprint of that 1976 annual, and I prefer to keep annual stories a bit together, if at all reasonable. I've no real attachment to their placement, otherwise.

PostPosted: August 10th, 2017, 1:48 pm 
Avenger

Yeah, keeping the Annual together makes a lot of sense. I agree with that.

PostPosted: August 10th, 2017, 3:00 pm 
Avenger

I mean, if the same annual has stories clearly set far apart or if the stories actually explicitly call out when they're set, go for it, split it up, but other than that, it reads best to keep them together.

PostPosted: August 10th, 2017, 6:48 pm 
Avenger

Alex Daily wrote:
I mean, if the same annual has stories clearly set far apart or if the stories actually explicitly call out when they're set, go for it, split it up, but other than that, it reads best to keep them together.

Right. Obviously if a First Doctor story popped up during the Fifth Doctor, we'd put that with the correct era.

PostPosted: August 14th, 2017, 1:25 pm 
Avenger

Wonderland was added to the order recently, and according to Tardis wiki, the Fourth Doctor makes an appearance.

Now, I haven't read it, but should it be moved back? If it's just a small cameo from the Fourth Doctor, I don't think it necessarily has to be moved back. It just depends on how it was done.

PostPosted: August 14th, 2017, 2:43 pm 
Avenger

tearsofrage wrote:
Wonderland was added to the order recently, and according to Tardis wiki, the Fourth Doctor makes an appearance.

Now, I haven't read it, but should it be moved back? If it's just a small cameo from the Fourth Doctor, I don't think it necessarily has to be moved back. It just depends on how it was done.

I think it's one of those "a later Doctor comes back to resolve a few lingering plot threads" epilogues -- I think that's enough to move it up. Moved on my spreadsheet to before the novel Millennium Shock.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37