Complete Marvel Reading Order

It is currently December 17th, 2017, 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Spinoffs and such
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2017, 7:41 am 
Avenger

Has liked: 591 times
Been liked: 1372 times
Since there's a lot of spinoffs, and the Working Order thread currently primarily deals with Doctor Who itself, I figured a separate thread for discussion and placement might be appropriate.

First Doctor
Audio
  • The Destroyers - Between The Dalek Outer Space Book and the 1966 Annual.

Prose
  • The Dalek Book - At any point after The Daleks -- put it just before The Keys of Marinus?
  • The Dalek World - At any point after The Dalek Invasion of Earth -- put it just before The Klepton Parasites?
  • The Dalek Outer Space Book - Before the 1966 Annual.

Comics
  • The Dalek Chronicles - Another run of mid-60s tie-in comics that could go anywhere, and frankly, I've run out of places to put them.

Second Doctor
  • Lethbridge-Stewart - This is him before he's a Brigadier, so in the first reasonable gap after The Web of Fear.

Fourth Doctor
TV
  • K-9 & Company - Aired between Logopolis and Castrovalva but that would interrupt a continuing story -- suggest immediately after Warriors' Gate. K-9 Annual can go right after.

Prose
  • K-9 books - General direction of Invasion of Time.

Audio
  • Kaldor City - After Corpse Marker

Home Video
  • Downtime - Somewhere after K-9 & Company.
  • Dæmos Rising - Followup to Downtime, just put it right after.

Fifth Doctor
Audio
  • Graceless - At any point after their departure in The Chaos Pool.

Prose
  • Erimem - At any point after her departure in The Bride of Peladon.

Home Video
  • Wartime - Somewhere before Mawdryn Undead.

Sixth Doctor
Audio
  • I, Davros and The Davros Mission - Soon after Revelation of the Daleks.

Seventh Doctor
Audio
  • Counter-Measures: After 1963: The Assassination Games and then intersperse with subsequent stories.
  • Dalek Empire - 1.1 and 1.2 before Return of the Daleks, 1.3 and 1.4 after, then intersperse Series 2, 3, and 4 with subsequent Seventh Doctor stories.
  • Minister of Chance - At any point after Death Comes to Time.
  • Vienna - At any point after The Shadow Heart.
  • Gallifrey - From the Seventh Doctor's encounters with Romana onwards, I think?

Comics
  • Abslom Daak... Dalek Killer and Star Tigers - Right before Nemesis of the Daleks.
  • Other Doctorless DWM backup strips should generally just go in sequence near those issues' main stories.

Home Video
  • Auton trilogy - A little bit after Battlefield, I think.
  • Downtime - The New Adventures novel Downtime middle third is a novelisation of this -- but the video was here first. List both next to each other.

Eighth Doctor
Audio
  • Cyberman - After Sword of Orion.
  • Iris Wildthyme - In any reasonable gap after Mad Dogs and Englishmen.
  • Original Brigadier-centric series of UNIT - At some point soon after Minuet in Hell
  • Gallifrey - Starts after Zagreus eventually connects to latter-day Eighth Doctor Time War stuff.
  • The Big Finish main range stories with the Sixth Doctor and Charley - after Charley leaves in The Girl Who Never Was.

Comics
  • Miranda - After Father Time.

Modern era
TV
  • Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures - I should have a list somewhere that made for a satisfying watch during the RTD-era Gap Year, I'll see if I can find it as a base.
  • K-9 - This should be in, but I've only seen a single episode and it barely connects to the DWU outside of including K-9, so I dunno.
  • Class - Between The Husbands of River Song and The Return of Doctor Mysterio.

Audio
  • The Diary of River Song - After The Husbands of River Song.
  • UNIT: The New Series - After The Day of the Doctor.

Misc
Audio
  • Sarah Jane Smith - A few years before School Reunion, I'd aim for 2002 stuff.
  • Jago & Litefoot I'll come back to later.
  • Bernice Summerfield is complex, too.
  • Zygon series - Explicitly tied to Doctor Who by way of the Zygons, but so far removed from anything to anchor it that this could go anywhere at all between the 1990s.
  • Adventures in a Pocket Universe - This tries real hard to be a sequel to Warriors' Gate but only actually has a license for the general concept of K-9, and not for Romana (played here by Lalla Ward, but called "The Mistress") or E-Space or any other element from Doctor Who. Probably in because of K-9, but completely un-anchored to Doctor Who.

Prose
  • Time Hunter - After wherever you end up putting The Cabinet of Light.

Home Video
  • P.R.O.B.E - First four releases can really go anywhere in the 90s, final release should probably be near 2015 stuff.
  • Zygon: When Being You Just Isn't Enough - Can literally go anywhere around 2008.

Crossovers
  • Phoenix Court - These feature Iris -- general area of before The Scarlet Empress.
  • The Worlds of Big Finish drags Big Finish's Sherlock Holmes and Dorian Gray ranges in, too -- these are small and self-contained enough that I'd just throw them in in the vicinity of Worlds of.
  • Star Trek: TNG

I acknowledge these but can't say anything about them
  • All of [i]Faction Paradox.
  • Krynoids, Rutans, Wirrn and Sontarans series, I Scream, really, everything else from BBV I haven't mentioned - Again, they only have the monsters or one character, these stories can completely exist inside the mainstream DWU, but completely unanchored.
  • Everything by Reeltime I don't explicitly mention here for the same reasons as the BBV stuff.

ADMIN EDIT: Stuff crossed out I've put in my working list.

I think this is probably most of it, but this list remains a work in progress.

Last edited by Alex Daily on April 26th, 2017, 8:41 am, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Spinoffs and such
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2017, 8:16 am 
Minion

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 12 times
I have not read any but i believe the last Dr Who appearance of the Faction Paradox is The Gallifrey Chronicles. You have at least 15 books (Some might be short stories) 12 audio's and 2 issues of a comic set after.

I think the Dr Who order should have either separate orders for series like Faction Paradox, Bernice Summerfield, and Iris Wildthyme or have an expanded order with everything included. I do not see an average user of the site wanting to read through 27 Bernice Summerfield books before the next Dr appearance.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2017, 8:38 am 
Avenger

Cinnamongreen13 wrote:
I have not read any but i believe the last Dr Who appearance of the Faction Paradox is The Gallifrey Chronicles. You have at least 15 books (Some might be short stories) 12 audio's and 2 issues of a comic set after.

I think the Dr Who order should have either separate orders for series like Faction Paradox, Bernice Summerfield, and Iris Wildthyme or have an expanded order with everything included. I do not see an average user of the site wanting to read through 27 Bernice Summerfield books before the next Dr appearance.

Honestly, I haven't read any Faction Paradox, and I find the whole thing sort of exhausting to think about, so this is one where I have to opt out of suggesting any kind of placement -- I just don't know, nor can I quite bring myself at this time to care.

To circumvent exactly this problem, my placement suggestions for, to take your example of the Bernice Summerfield books, the area after Lungbarrow would be to split the Bernice books up into chunks and run them between the subsequent audio stories.

Also, the Skip button exists.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2017, 8:56 am 
Minion

The problem is that there will be 27 books, over 60 audio's before she meets back up with the 7th doctor in the The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield. That is a lot of Bernice all to be squeezed in such a small space. I will be reading everything so it wont bother me much but I can see a causal reader getting put off by skipping so much.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2017, 9:06 am 
Avenger

To be honest, if a casual reader isn't put off by, say, those First Doctor TV Comic strips but gives up because of 27 Bernice Summerfield books, I'm impressed they stuck it out so long.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2017, 9:27 am 
Beyonder

Has liked: 459 times
Been liked: 3252 times
I do want to put all these spinoffs into the order...

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2017, 9:29 am 
Minion

Haha that is very true.
I guess you could also click the Doctors character page and just use his appearances as the main order.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2017, 9:30 am 
Beyonder

Or use the skip button.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2017, 9:58 am 
Avenger

I think a TV-only order like on the Star Wars and Star Trek sites would probably see a lot of use.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2017, 10:06 am 
Beyonder

Probably. I get that for star trek, star wars & Doctor who that all originated with TV/Movies but has a large volume of non-tv/movie stuff (unlike say MCU, which has very little of that), there are a good number of people that aren't interested in anything outside movies & tv. So for orders like this, there will always be a tv/movie option.

Unlike star trek or star wars, where the novel button gets a lot of play, I am skeptical that many people will chose a novel only version of Doctor Who (although I will still put it there)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next