Complete Marvel Reading Order

It is currently December 18th, 2017, 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Spinoffs and such
PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 9:33 pm 
Beyonder

Has liked: 459 times
Been liked: 3252 times
Yes. I am fine adding in alternate timeslines and the like, if the narrative brings it in (i.e. if it crosses over).

And no, I don't want to add things that are not part of the narrative whole with a tag. To me that's the same as making a "here's everything doctor who ever made" site, which this isn't

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 9:53 pm 
Sidekick

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 40 times
So what are the requirements of adding alternate timelines, how "brought in" do they need to be? Scream of the Shalka and Curse of the Fatal Death both get very small nods as "alternate futures" for the 8th Doctor.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 10:06 pm 
Beyonder

Has liked: 459 times
Been liked: 3252 times
A direct mention or appearance. I've looked at those episodes, and the nods are metatextual at best (and barely even that). Its like saying since Weyland-Yutani is on a list of Wolfram & Hart customers, that Aliens, Preadetor & Buffy are all in the same universe. And since the WY logo is on stuff in Firefly, that its in the same universe to...

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2017, 5:25 am 
Avenger

Has liked: 591 times
Been liked: 1372 times
Three things about the various Bernice Summerfield spin-offs:

• All of Benny's spin-off appearances have to take place after the last Virgin New Adventures Doctor Who book, The Dying Days, which is the range's only Eighth Doctor story. This makes positioning four dozen books and 20 years of audios between Seventh Doctor novel Eternity Weeps and the first New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield Seventh Doctor boxset even more impossible than it already was -- unless you take "Bernice Summerfield story" as those boxsets' primary context over "Seventh Doctor story," and just cut it loose like the Diary of River Song boxsets, which is what I'm proposing. I have no idea right now where those Benny boxsets will end up, but I think I can probably figure out a natural-feeling way to do it.
  • The first series of Benny's audio spin-off adapts a bunch of novels, both from the Doctor Who part of the New Adventures range and from the Benny part, but neither version are at all reasonable to leave out.
  • She meets the Twelfth Doctor in the novel Big Bang Generation, the events of which are referred in the Seventh and Alt-Third Doctor New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield boxsets -- is it reasonable to extend Benny's other appearances that far, and have those Seventh and Alt-Third Doctor boxsets show up around the Twelfth Doctor's era, or should I ignore that one story for further placement purposes like I did Jago & Litefoot & Strax and The Jago & Litefoot Revival for Jago & Litefoot?

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2017, 8:32 am 
Sidekick

As an outside, my initial thought was "cut it loose" to allow the 12 Doctor story to be came to naturally and just spread the other stories along the way to it; but I also realized, I think your original suggestion was to cut the prior stories loose from New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield; would it be possible to also include those, and just position those much later than they otherwise would be? To keep Bernice's chronology in order, at least, even if it's spread out between unrelated Doctor stories throughout the years, and then "flashing back" to 7.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2017, 8:55 am 
Avenger

In her most recent adventures, she meets up with, in order, the Seventh (NAoBS), the Twelfth (BBG) and Alt-Third (NAoBS:TUU) Doctors, all after all of her other spin-off material, all after meeting the Eighth a few times, meaning no reasonable placement is possible leaving the New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield boxsets in the Seventh Doctor's chronological order, so those would for sure need to be cut loose.

The question is, do I ignore, for placement purposes, her meeting with the Twelfth in The Big Bang Generation, the only real outlier (essentially like I did for a few Jago & Litefoot stories) because they're all more side-stories than important parts of the bigger whole, or do I stretch Benny to the new series era, putting those Seventh Doctor boxsets around the time of Last Christmas, which I think makes for a stronger read, but is way more release order than chronological. (See also, The Diary of River Song, which has frequent appearances from earlier Doctors.)

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2017, 8:58 am 
Avenger

I'm probably overthinking this, and stretching Benny to the new series era is the obvious way to go.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2017, 10:59 am 
Avenger

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 366 times
Without having listened to them, your suggestion seems solid.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2017, 11:25 am 
Sidekick

Yeah, without having read it, this was already what I was leaning towards/try to suggest if was possible, so this seems good.

If the 12th is the latest one, I would try to see if you can make that one fit into the 12th's era chronologically, but if it's not possible, don't stress it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7