Complete Marvel Reading Order

It is currently November 22nd, 2017, 7:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: So what's the deal with "Campaign"?
PostPosted: July 5th, 2017, 2:14 am 
Minion

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times
It's been many years so I really don't remember why Ian and Barbara reference the novelisation - it may be important to the story, it may not. My gut feeling, though, is that due to the official nature of the novel, the author wanted to avoid making references to any official, televised Doctor Who stories so he instead references out-of-print novelisations and unmade stories.

Either way, I'm not sure it's worth including the novelisation to the Order. Mostly because it would present two different introductions to Doctor Who (An Unearthly Child and the novelisation). That just seems unnecessarily confusing to me. Also, other than the opening chapters, the novelisation is, largely, a pretty straight re-telling of The Daleks. Would people really want to read the novelisation straight after watching it?

PostPosted: July 5th, 2017, 4:46 pm 
Avenger

Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 1331 times
mrtc2003 wrote:
It's been many years so I really don't remember why Ian and Barbara reference the novelisation - it may be important to the story, it may not. My gut feeling, though, is that due to the official nature of the novel, the author wanted to avoid making references to any official, televised Doctor Who stories so he instead references out-of-print novelisations and unmade stories.

Either way, I'm not sure it's worth including the novelisation to the Order. Mostly because it would present two different introductions to Doctor Who (An Unearthly Child and the novelisation). That just seems unnecessarily confusing to me. Also, other than the opening chapters, the novelisation is, largely, a pretty straight re-telling of The Daleks. Would people really want to read the novelisation straight after watching it?

Genuine, no joke, complete spoilers for Campaign, I absolutely mean it, I explain why the novelisation is referenced, it's not meaningfully important for a placing discussion, if you've not read it this might ruin the book for you:
Campaign references the novelisation for the same reason it references Luxor, the annuals, Alexander the Great, the original production documents for the show -- because those could-have-beens are the realities it shifts in and out of for the purposes of what is revealed in the end to be a Time Lord game called "the Game of Me".

As for including novelisations, there's precedence: The Star Wars Reading Order includes several near-identical retellings of the films that have one or two unique scenes in them, usually originating in earlier drafts of the script or cuts of the film, some of which are referenced in tie-in media working from those same cuts and drafts -- you could make a reasonable argument for including about a handful of Doctor Who novelisations because they meaningfully expand on mythology the show establishes that is later taken further by original novels.

I don't think you lose anything if you've not read those, but then I say that having not read any of the novelisations, and having no interest in changing that. If there were a push for including the relevant ones, I would not be able to tell you which ones.

That said, I would not include anything exclusively on the basis of Campaign, and I think Campaign is the only reason you might reasonably include An Exciting Adventure with.

PostPosted: July 5th, 2017, 4:55 pm 
Avenger

Notable exceptions to "no novelisations":
  • Unproduced TV story The Ultimate Evil was novelised in 1989 alongside two other unproduced stories, but unlike those other two, never adapted by Big Finish. It's included in the list alongside those audios.
  • The modern novelisation of Shada is the [u]only[/o] complete version of the story featuring the Fourth Doctor -- the VHS version merely fills the unfilmed portions in with some linking narration of Tom Baker (the Curator? Hah.) standing in a small room. I don't think it's on the list Travis is working from, but I'll probably make a push for including it in 2013 somewhere. (It includes a bunch of references to modern stories, and would be out of place in 1979.)

Last edited by Alex Daily on July 8th, 2017, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2017, 3:58 pm 
Minion

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 11 times
I agree with your points about the placement. I just though I would bring it up while i still remembered it.

I was reading the Target Novelisations after watching an episode but i got burnt out pretty quick doing that. The only one that had a LOT of new content was Edge of Destruction, although nothing worth adding it into the order for.

**Update as i didn't want to double post**

I am now half way through the book and I am not enjoying it anywhere as much as i thought i would when i started it. Its not that the story is bad, I just hate the writing style. The only thing keeping me from stopping is that i want to finish this order 100% some day, and I really want to figure out what the hell is going on.

I have came across some more references to episodes that have not happened in the order yet. I hope this does get explained later on.

After reading a bit more, I feel like the placement is correct, but the author expects you to have watched the episodes that happen after. Looks like we will get a lot more of this as we carry on with the order.

PostPosted: July 8th, 2017, 9:51 am 
Avenger

Yeah, that's gonna happen sometimes. That's what I mean when I say a story has different contexts, like, Campaign has "story featuring Dr Who, Susan, Ian, and Barbara set in the season 1/2 gap," "unpublished Past Doctor Adventures novel," and "Doctor Who novel from 2000," where that last one is especially important to it -- it's a novel written at a time when Doctor Who was, for all intents and purposes, never coming back. It's like the tie-in novel equivalent of life flashing before your eyes at the end.

But you can't replicate that context in a reading order, and placing it near 2000 in an otherwise mostly chronological order just means it comes out nowhere and goes there, too. So, uh, yeah.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2017, 8:46 pm 
Sidekick

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 36 times
I was avoiding this thread because I figured it was dead to me, but reading the new posts, it really does sound to me like there is a case to be made to putting it later in the order. Maybe not into the 2000s, although even so maybe? I figure this is more Alex's wheelhouse, but I feel like if it's referencing events that haven't yet happened, the story probably works better later, as a flashback.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: July 28th, 2017, 5:44 am 
Avenger

I'm open to suggestions.