Complete Marvel Reading Order

It is currently August 22nd, 2017, 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What would you do?
Ben Rielly 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
One More Day 73%  73%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 11
 Post subject: Re: Ben Rielly vs One More Day
PostPosted: October 8th, 2016, 10:22 pm 
Herald of Galactus

Has liked: 260 times
Been liked: 1097 times
VenomousIntent wrote:
rocketraccoon wrote:
It's hard for me to believe that obliterating Mary Jane could have added something, when it's clearly taking away something major. As for making the comics fun again, it's not like Mary Jane was preventing fun just by being there. It's just that they changed writers.

1) I never said that MJ was the problem

2) I never even mentioned MJ

3) Why are we even discussing MJ?

4) MJ still remains a prominent figure within the Spider-Man comics. Her and Peter are still very close friends ... probably bffs in their own weird way.

I'm talking about MJ because she's the entire point of One More Day. The whole stupid fucking thing was about erasing her marriage to Spider-Man because of a editorial edict.

And maybe they didn't get rid of her all at once but it was the first step.

PostPosted: October 8th, 2016, 10:23 pm 
Herald of Galactus

VenomousIntent wrote:
And yes ... I agree that the event did not improve Spider-Man at that very moment in time. But the writers that were tasked with fixing that mess (mostly Dan Slott) were able to take a shitty situation and turn it into gold. And not just in Spider-Man. But across the board in the Spider-family of comics.

Imagine what they could have done with a decent situation.

PostPosted: October 9th, 2016, 2:47 am 
Celestial

Has liked: 2387 times
Been liked: 1186 times
rocketraccoon wrote:
And maybe they didn't get rid of her all at once but it was the first step.

no in fact the opposite... they got rid of her heavily at first and then Slott eventually brought her back into the picture... hell, even in Superior Spider-Man, Otto goes out on a date with her(as Peter) to try and prove he can fix whatever the hell Parker screwed up.... MJ is still pretty involved...

PostPosted: October 9th, 2016, 9:38 am 
Herald of Galactus

Involved in what? Iron Man? http://kotaku.com/looks-like-iron-man-m ... 1730116968

And you could replace every time I said MJ with MJ's Marriage and it would still mean the same thing.

PostPosted: October 9th, 2016, 7:07 pm 
Avenger

Has liked: 155 times
Been liked: 337 times
Doing interesting things with a bad creative choice make it better, but it doesn't make that creative choice a good one.

PostPosted: October 9th, 2016, 11:33 pm 
Herald of Galactus

Has liked: 1511 times
Been liked: 1445 times
fixin main page

PostPosted: October 13th, 2016, 5:59 pm 
Caped Crusader

Has liked: 546 times
Been liked: 419 times
tearsofrage wrote:
Doing interesting things with a bad creative choice make it better, but it doesn't make that creative choice a good one.

No it does not. But I think we as fans need to applaud the creative teams that are tasked with giving us material that is entertaining and justifiable.

They wanted to make Peter single again. That is great. Sure. But do not produce a controversial story that is unreasonable in order to justify what you want as a creator. It was a selfish move by Quesada who wanted the single, young, swinging Peter Parker that he grew up with. He was not that Peter anymore and it was not fair to the comic readers who were used to the modern Peter Parker.

It sucks. I can not be justified. But you can look at it as a fan and say "Hey! Maybe I would not have Superior Spider, or Spider Verse, or Dan Slott, or etc." So do I wish that it never happened? No. Not anymore because I like the new status quo. I like where Peter is and I like what is going on in his comics. It is a love hate thing because I sort of wish that he was sharing all his new found success with Mary Jane.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2016, 6:02 pm 
Caped Crusader

Has liked: 546 times
Been liked: 419 times
But on the other hand, Quesada wanted to create a new road in order to tell better Spider-Man stories for the next 20 - 30 years. He felt that the stories they were producing were just not good enough. And in a way, it worked. I still think it was a selfish move, but it did allow for more intriguing stories. So maybe, in a way, removing MJ was a good thing. I don't really know.

PostPosted: October 14th, 2016, 12:24 am 
Celestial

Has liked: 2387 times
Been liked: 1186 times
VenomousIntent wrote:
But on the other hand, Quesada wanted to create a new road in order to tell better Spider-Man stories for the next 20 - 30 years. He felt that the stories they were producing were just not good enough. And in a way, it worked. I still think it was a selfish move, but it did allow for more intriguing stories. So maybe, in a way, removing MJ was a good thing. I don't really know.

I upvote most of your points, but this one I can't....

because I've gone past OMD, I can agree heavily that there are not only good things that happen after, but sometimes even great things (Spider-Verse is Awesome!!!), but in no way can I say that removing MJ was a good thing... even being only X-Family centered in the70s,80s, & 90s, I still collected things like McFarlene's Spider-Man series, and Peter and MJ was a constant for so long, I also totally get rocket's reluctance to this moment.....

As much as I want rocket to move past it, I get how he feels about it....

PostPosted: October 14th, 2016, 2:04 am 
Caped Crusader

Has liked: 582 times
Been liked: 336 times
There was many ways the could have removed MJ, OMD was the one that made me stop buying SM. First I thought they was going produce stories in the lane of Age of Apocalypse or the Reigning. But after a few months a realised that the wasn't even a beginning of a build-up to a greater storyline or a climax, and that's when a quit.
Haven't read the stories involving Ben, but it seems like they at least tried doing it with an"in-game" explanation, and not a "because I said so"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next