Complete Marvel Reading Order

It is currently January 23rd, 2018, 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Action Comics
PostPosted: November 11th, 2017, 4:03 pm 
Avenger

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 330 times
I think I'm missing something. All these early action comics are getting rated 4 stars, and I don't understand. I can understand for Superman fans, giving the first appearance of super-man a boost because of historical significance. But in later issues where
supes joins a circus, makes a munition maker join a foreign army, destroys housing because he doesn't like slum, declaring war on cars!?!?
(not sure if this a spoiler 80 year later or not, but just to be safe) I am not sure why these are rated so highly. To me these issues make Ann Nocenti look like Frank Miller. Can anyone explain this to me?

Post subject: Re: Action Comics
PostPosted: November 11th, 2017, 4:09 pm 
Beyonder

Has liked: 463 times
Been liked: 3342 times
From what I've seen when adding issues and looking for characters, they look awful. I think it has to be nostalgia and excitement for starting the DC order.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2017, 4:14 pm 
Avenger

That's all I can figure. Characters are jerks, supes and Lois, plot is....strange may be the word (
like when supes entire plan to get a businessman trapped in his own unsafe mine was to dress as a miner and get caught at a aprty. How did he even think that this would make the owner want to take all of his party guests down to the mines? I must have been missing a page in my copy or something.
), art may have been good for its time but is very bland and non descript, as opposed to innovators going as far back as the silver age like Steranko, or even Kirby who some people love.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2017, 4:15 pm 
Hero for Hire

Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 101 times
I think it also has to be seen in contrast to the other comics in the order right now. People are probably a bit more excited by reading Superman than the Clock.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2017, 4:19 pm 
Avenger

I will be honest, I hadn't considered everything else being listed in the order as the point of contrast for some. I'm only hitting the core order right now (May switch to essential, undecided at this point), so I'm just seeing this in contrast to whatnot have been reading in the main Marvel order.

Btw, starnes, a little off topic, I submitted a suggestion to have issue 10 of action comics listed as core.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2017, 4:33 pm 
Beyonder

I haven't done suggestions since Thur, but it's a text story and I normally don't mark text stories as core.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2017, 4:36 pm 
Beyonder

Nevermind that, I was thinking of a different comic. Yea, I'll go bakc and mark it. That was just an error on my part, wasn't skipped on purpose.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2017, 4:52 pm 
Avenger

I figured it was just an oversight, but might be somethinf easy to take care of while the order is still young.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2017, 9:21 pm 
Minion

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 11 times
I personally rate books based on other comics published during the same time period. If I compared these early DC stories to modern (or even Bronze Age) comics, they would probably be all 1's or 2's. I start all comics out as a 3 and then go up or down based on how it compares to its contemporaries. So for me, the Superman and Batman tales are slightly better than the other comics at this point. As time goes by and the storytelling gets better, my standard for a 4 will adjust accordingly.

My thought process is as follows:

5 - This comic is either an outstanding read or has historical importance. I give very few 5's.
4 - This comic is slightly better than its contemporaries.
3 - This is an average book for its time.
2 - This is a below average comic.
1 - This comic is sub-par even for its time period. Totally skipable.

Of course, this is just my method. There is no right or wrong way to rate a book since its 100% subjective. :D