Complete Marvel Reading Order

It is currently April 26th, 2018, 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Golden Age Character Connections
PostPosted: January 8th, 2018, 6:46 pm 
Sidekick

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 119 times
sewixo wrote:
But I do not accept The Unknown. The JLA:Destiny character looks like Spectre, uses magic, is named Steve. Quality's Unknown is just a muscled guy who lost his memory (doesn't remember his name nor country; hence the Unknown).

It's a weird case to be sure. I kind of wonder if there was another character named the Unknown from Fawcett, Quality, or Charlton that we somehow missed even. Something to keep an eye on going forward i suppose.

lilzetha wrote:
I don't know how stuff works around here. Is your order parallel to the Order? Or the future of the Order?

Sewixo is doing the draft version of the DC order basically (found here), which others provide input on as necessary, and tstarnes ultimately uses for the website order. So more or less the future of the order, yeah.

(and other orders have different people doing the ordering)

PostPosted: January 8th, 2018, 8:40 pm 
Minion

Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 16 times
Azurfel wrote:
sewixo wrote:
But I do not accept The Unknown. The JLA:Destiny character looks like Spectre, uses magic, is named Steve. Quality's Unknown is just a muscled guy who lost his memory (doesn't remember his name nor country; hence the Unknown).

It's a weird case to be sure. I kind of wonder if there was another character named the Unknown from Fawcett, Quality, or Charlton that we somehow missed even. Something to keep an eye on going forward i suppose.

I found another character named Unknown that looks similar to the Spectre.

Check it out here: http://jessnevins.com/encyclopedia/unknown(II).html

P.S. Jess Nivens' Character List is an awesome research tool... :)

PostPosted: January 8th, 2018, 9:14 pm 
Sidekick

go2shaw wrote:

That seems entirely plausible, tho he would be the odd one out since DC doesn't own the rights/"rights". Still an interesting find!

PostPosted: January 9th, 2018, 10:31 am 
Avenger

Has liked: 1930 times
Been liked: 1391 times
go2shaw wrote:
Azurfel wrote:
sewixo wrote:

Anything by Jess Nevins is usually an awesome research tool.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2018, 3:38 pm 
Minion

Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 16 times
sewixo wrote:
Rock_Volnutt wrote:
sewixo wrote:
I don't know how useful such information is to you, owenneil, but:
in
America's Greatest Comics v1 #4a [Captain Marvel] <Earth-S> (August 1942)
Billy Batson (Captain Marvel) attends a "gala event" where he meets
> Spy Smasher (although they crossed over several times before)
> Lance O'Casey
> Golden Arrow
> Prince Ibis The Invincible (and Princess Taia)
and they all help Captain Marvel to stop a suicide bomber or something.

I haven't checked the issue myself yet but the wiki mentions Whiz Comics 121 (A comic from 1950) establishing Golden Arrow as having been active sometime around 1860. That could present some problems with being active 80 years later but lol continuity errors.

I haven't read Whiz #121 either.
But here's my assumption about it, although it might very well be incorrect:
The way they (wikia) establish the 1860 date is by saying Golden Arrow was working for THE Pony Express, and I would imagine Golden Arrow was working for A Pony Express-like company.
From my understanding of "Western Lore", Pony Express was a mail delivery company, which was replaced by trains. Having mail delivered by horse doesn't necessarily mean the timeframe of the story is 1860-1861.

But I'm just speculating. Maybe it was THE Pony Express. Can't be helped. Either way, Golden Arrow is established as an inhabitant of Earth-S, by his crossovers with Cap Marvel. Whether Golden Arrow is a time traveler is irrelevant.

I would also like to say that as I read Golden Arrow's adventures, and even though he appears to be a Western-times character, there has not yet been a specific reference to the date of his adventures, nor was there any specific situation which would suggest the timeframe of his adventures can not be the 1940's (from what I recall, of course).
I imagine there were a lot of places in USA in 1940's which still, at least in some part, looked like old-Western towns.
Worst case, we just have stretch our imaginations a bit and not worry about it. ;)

I just finished Whiz #7 and the intro to the Golden Arrow story refers to him as a "fearless hero of the old west". This intro along with the Pony Express reference and the general feel of the series, seem to indicate (at least in MY mind) these adventures occur in the late 1800's.

So, how in the world can this guy appear with Captain Marvel in August of 1942?

Here are a few theories to ponder:

1) Golden Arrow is a time traveler
2) Golden Arrow is immortal
3) Golden Arrow has great genes and looks awesome for a centenarian
4) Golden Arrow from the 1800's has a decedent that has taken up archery in the 1940's
5) Golden Arrow is a fictional charcter and can appear whenever and wherever he darn well pleases!

:lol:

Other than America's Greatest Comics v1 #4a, is anyone aware of a confirmed 20th century appearance of Golden Arrow?

Oh, and is America's Greatest Comics v1 #4a the ONLY appearance of Lance O'Casey outside of his own series? If so, I may consider skipping him going forward.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2018, 4:08 am 
Vigilante

Has liked: 561 times
Been liked: 234 times
I would look at it the way we look at Star Wars. Even though it's all futuristic science-fiction, it all happened "a long time ago".
So Golden Arrow is the oposite. :D
I'm just saying, if Golden Arrow ever goes to a big city like New York in one of his adventures, and the city looks like it's around 1860's or even 1890's, then I'll be convinced he isn't a 1940's character.
Even though on the first glance Golden Arrow is a "Western" character, there is no definite proof that he isn't a "modern" (to 1940's) at the same time, in my humble and possibly biased opinion.
I understand that proof should be given for something that is, rather than isn't, but Golden Arrow did appear alongside Cap Marvel in 1940's, so who knows anymore.
Other than that:
go2shaw wrote:
5) Golden Arrow is a fictional charcter and can appear whenever and wherever he darn well pleases!

this seems like the option I'd go with. :D

go2shaw wrote:
Other than America's Greatest Comics v1 #4a, is anyone aware of a confirmed 20th century appearance of Golden Arrow?

As it was stated in this topic, Whiz Comics #43 (June 1943).
I haven't seen the issue with my own eyes yet, but all Internet info says it is so.

go2shaw wrote:
Oh, and is America's Greatest Comics v1 #4a the ONLY appearance of Lance O'Casey outside of his own series? If so, I may consider skipping him going forward.

As far as I can tell, that is true.
Well, aside from his appearance in The Power of Shazam #34 in 1998.

On another topic:
Nadir, Master of Magic (a character that was previously deemed a "handbook" character - no actual reference to him other than a DC's character-guide book).
As was stated by Ice in the comments section on
New Adventure Comics #30 [D Story]
http://dcreadingorder.com/detail.php?idvalue=184
there's a blog by ultraboy8888
https://ultraboy8888.wordpress.com/tag/nadir/
that claims, in reference to Nadir's last appearance in New Adventure Comics #30:
ultraboy8888 wrote:
I would normally declare Nadir dead at this point, but he has made a couple of cameos since, part of larger groupings of Golden Age magic based characters, as an extremely old man.

ultraboy8888 doesn't mention any specific issues though - maybe those cameos of Nadir aren't even in DC Comics.
Something to look for in the future...

Last edited by sewixo on January 18th, 2018, 4:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2018, 10:30 am 
Sidekick

go2shaw wrote:
I just finished Whiz #7 and the intro to the Golden Arrow story refers to him as a "fearless hero of the old west". This intro along with the Pony Express reference and the general feel of the series, seem to indicate (at least in MY mind) these adventures occur in the late 1800's.

The "Old West" time-frame extends much later than you would think, well into the 1910's.

Since it kind of seems like the writers of Golden Arrow were trying to evoke all the tropes of the old west at it's height and ended up with a somewhat anachronistic mishmash that cant really be accurately dated to any specific year or decade, so we may as well just assume it takes place as late as possible to better accommodate the crossovers xD

sewixo wrote:
ultraboy8888 doesn't mention any specific issues though - maybe those cameos of Nadir aren't even in DC Comics.
Something to look for in the future...

Oooh, i thought i read through every article on that site looking for Platinum Age connections, but apparently i missed that one! Nifty!

Last edited by Azurfel on January 18th, 2018, 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2018, 10:39 am 
Minion

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 7 times
So, for those wondering about Nadir, according to Comicvine here: https://comicvine.gamespot.com/nadir/4005-18977/ he has an appearance or reference in one issue of Legion Worlds from 2001.

EDIT: It appears to be Legion Worlds #5, as evidenced by the page they have listing the characters. https://comicvine.gamespot.com/legion-w ... 000-51469/

Last edited by Drexlore on January 18th, 2018, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2018, 10:48 am 
Beyonder

Has liked: 482 times
Been liked: 3537 times
Comicvine is publicly editable and has a lot of errors in it, just like Wikia. It generally isn't considered verification. (Not saying this is wrong, just, be careful what you use as reference)

PostPosted: January 18th, 2018, 11:18 am 
Vigilante

Has liked: 561 times
Been liked: 234 times
Comicvine often has good info that other sites don't have, but it is also full of errors.
The Nadir from Legion Worlds #5 is just a random character named Nadir - it is the green alien on the cover of that issue. I highly doubt it was supposed to be the same character.
It would be sort of like looking for Lando, Man of Magic (another DC "handbook" character from this thread) and linking him to Lando Calrissian.
So, let's keep looking! :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next