Complete Marvel Reading Order

It is currently January 20th, 2018, 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: All order end of the year FYI (or...why nothing new)
PostPosted: December 27th, 2017, 9:58 pm 
Beyonder

Has liked: 463 times
Been liked: 3333 times
Just an FYI for all orders EXCEPT cmro. I'm putting it here since it applies to all the other orders.

Until the 1st (or so, might be the 5th), you will most likely see nothing new added to any of the orders. Don't worry, I'll get back to adding stuff in the new year. We've picked up a lot of new traffic at the end of this year, which is taxing the server, so I am doing a rewrite of sections of the sites (mostly CMRO, where most the traffic goes) to make them more efficient and less system hogs.

Some of that will mean you might see some sections of the site run faster when I'm done (or that's the goal at least), or at least less server outages (usually only last 30 sec or so as the crashed service reboots automatically) once I'm done.

So...blah blah blah....don't worry, I'm not abandoning any of the orders.

Post subject: Re: All order end of the year FYI (or...why nothing new)
PostPosted: December 27th, 2017, 10:08 pm 
Minion

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 37 times
If you don't mind me asking, how fast is CMRO growing? It's nice hearing about here getting more attention.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2017, 10:22 pm 
Beyonder

It's not very exciting. We have added users,d about 200 active (meaning daily user) users this year plus about a thousand or so users a day that aren't regular (either people who haven't visited this year, but were here before or people who showed up one time).

Sadly, the large traffic increase has been mostly bots (which have almost tippled over last year) and search engines getting super aggressive (I had to block Yandex, the Russian search engine entirely, cause it was pulling every page 20 times a day, and there are almost 200,000 individual pages on the site now).

PostPosted: December 28th, 2017, 10:55 am 
Avenger

Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 677 times
I thought that I might be responsible for linking to CMRO so much on Reddit. But since it's bots I guess that's probably not the case. :)

PostPosted: January 12th, 2018, 7:52 pm 
Minion

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 15 times
point me in the direction of a thread if there is one, but i've been curious since joining this site: HOW do you create the order? Is it just time, effort, and knowledge? A team effort? How have you all pulled this off!?

PostPosted: January 12th, 2018, 8:05 pm 
Beyonder

It's a team effort, and it's still going. I started the original order back in, I guess 2010, using mostly other lists as an ordering to start with, although with my own rules in place (such as, no breaking comics into pages or panels, placing things roughly in the time period they were published, etc). After that others have come in (fragsel, raist, rocket, drax just to name few) and done the real work of refining and fixing my vast run of mistakes. Thankfully, we now have Fragsel reading through and making meticulous notes on placement, and really refining the order as he goes.

But really, it's been a slow process. When this started it was essentially a spreadsheet on a white page. The tracking and everything else came along in bits and pieces as the community grew.

But it's still...and will probably always be ... a work in progress. Even with how careful and precise Fragsel is in his corrections, we still get people who come by and see something the rest of us miss, making suggestions that improve the order.

But yes...Time, effort and knowledge. We are 8-9 years into making the order, and still have a lot of work to do.

PostPosted: January 13th, 2018, 1:16 am 
Avenger

Has liked: 170 times
Been liked: 387 times
Yeah, Fragsel is really good at ordering the comics.